Saturday, August 10, 2019

What I'm Going to Eat

Well, I have a little haul from yesterday. I did make it to Sprouts and Natural Grocers, but no Trader Joe's. Early afternoon on a Friday? Just no. Even Sprouts was a bit busier than usual, and I forgot a few things.
It's a pretty simple haul, all of my usual things. When I took my little break, it was so nice just eating, and not worrying about a picture or worrying if my food is boring, ugly, repetitive or all three. When I start worrying too much about food for any reason I don't like it. So I decided to just keep that attitude. So this is just the simple food that sounds good to me this week!
Avocados,lemon,oranges,celery,kombucha,bananas,strawberries,live soda,baby Romaine and butter lettuce,Brussels sprouts puffs,green onion,coconut milk, salad dressing,tofu,bath salts,raspberries,tomato

Too expensive vegan gluten free bread
I have been having this strong craving for a simple tomato sandwich. You know, with some mayo, and thinly sliced summer tomato. Smith's no longer sells Bfree breads, and almost every gluten free bread I can find is not vegan. It seems eggs are a key factor in gluten free baking. So I got this at Natural Grocers. It's made in Utah. The price is crazy. 
I have to say I'm kind of disappointed. The bread is oddly sweet. It's both dense and crumbly in that unique gluten free way. Even with veganaise, and salt and pepper on the tomato slices this was sweet. It seems like gluten free has been a thing for some time, and the stuff is so freaking expensive yet a lot of it really blows.
This however does not blow. I swear I've passed this dressing up a thousand times because it's creamy, and I assumed not vegan. For whatever reason I decided to actually read the ingredients and much to my surprise it's vegan!! I read and reread the ingredients several times, and it says right on the back that it's made with all plant based ingredients! I used to love peppercorn ranch, the kind that came in a jar, not bottle and it was really thick. That's what this tastes like! It's not as thick, but the flavor is spot on. What a nice surprise!
I couldn't resist getting a picture of the little pink toe beans!! Kiki is the only one of the girls who lets me touch her toes. They're so soft and sweet!



5 comments:

  1. Awww little toes!! How sweet! That's a great haul and it's too bad that the bread didn't work out for what you needed it for! You can still use it with nut butter or to make cinnamon toast or something but it's disappointing when you splurge on something and you can't even satisfy your craving with it. The meal does look delicious and that dressing certainly made up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stinks about the bread being so sweet; I hope you can find a good (and not ridiculously expensive) gluten free bread soon! The dressing sounds amazing, though!
    Toe beans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when I find something is vegan! That's how I discovered that there actually is one vegan variety of biscuits in a can. (Not gluten free, though, unfortunately.) Sorry your sandwich didn't work out. I love a good tomato sandwich so I know that must have been frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toe beans are sweet. Bread should not be. What a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate when bread is too sweet! Yuck.

    ReplyDelete