Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Good Food and News!

I've had a can of jackfruit in my pantry for over six months. It actually had become my go to can for pressing tofu. For awhile I was buying jackfruit just to fit in. Jackfruit is one of the few affordable vegan trends so I think I was buying it just to be part of something. But truth be told, I'm not the biggest fan of jackfruit. It doesn't fill me up, I feel ravenous like an hour after eating it.
But I was craving potato salad, and what goes better with potato salad than BBQ? So I simmered the jackfruit in some BBQ sauce and made a delicious potato salad using this recipe. I used half a cup of veganaise, because what even is 7/8 of a cup??  This meal was delicious, and the potato salad was definitely the star!!
I went to Winco to pick up a few bulk items and I decided to treat myself to some Mission gluten free tortillas. I've been craving quesadillas like crazy! I had a super long day yesterday so when I got home I was extra happy to have some cooked black beans. I threw those and some daiya cheddar in the tortillas and had delicious quesadillas with guacamole and green cholula sauce.
These hit the spot so good!! Isn't it funny how the simplest meals can really just taste so great?
I have some more exciting news. Do you guys remember me talking about Bubba, the stray cat I was feeding and trying to get to come inside? Well, for months I would open my door, he would come in and then go back out. I didn't want him to feel kidnapped, I was trying to let him make the choice. Well, he was starting to not eat and drink, so a few weeks ago I just decided to make him come in. I picked him up and brought him inside. He has been living in my second bedroom. I leave the door open sometimes, he will come out for a bit but he gets nervous and goes back to his room. Afro, Kiki and Roxy are accepting of him, but Etta and Joan hiss and want no part of him. I'm happy to say he is eating and drinking and loving the indoor life. He shows no desire to go outside, and he looks like a whole new boy!!

It's amazing what some good food and a little TLC can do for someone's spirit!! I know he needs a checkup at the vet, I think he might need a few teeth pulled so I am trying to save money for that, but for right now he's safe and happy!!

12 comments:

  1. Oh Hillary, you certainly saved the best for last! You sly dog. He's beautiful. I have a real soft spot for those beaten up old toms. Is he affectionate? Usually males turn into real mama's boys. And don't worry about Joan and Etta. Even if they don't come around 100%, everything will calm down eventually and they'll just ignore him. Congrats on your new baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very affectionate!! He just wants pets and butt scratches all the time!! He's very, very sweet!
      Joan kind of makes me nervous because she's a bit of a wild child.

      Delete
  2. OMG YAY FOR BUBBA!!! Thank you for caring for that sweet boy. I am so happy that he has adapted to his new life and family! That is the best news, thank you so much for sharing with us!

    Your meals look incredible! I've never tried jackfruit but now I really want to! And yay for the tortillas! I think I need a quesadilla in my life sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that he loves the indoor life!! I was scared he'd want to go back outside, but he's very happy to have a home!
      Quesadillas are so good!!!!

      Delete
  3. 7/8 of a cup is 3/4 of a cup plus two tablespoons, but it's so weird to see it written in a recipe that way! Why not 3/4 of a cup plus more if you want it? But never mind, that looks like a great meal!

    That's a cat that looks like it is relieved to have a home. I'm glad you took him in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3/4 plus a little more makes so much more sense!! I don't think I've ever seen a recipe written like that! But it is a really, really tasty recipe!!
      He is very happy, and I'm so happy too!

      Delete
  4. BUBBA!! He's so cute with his little scraggly ear!! I'm so glad he's loving the indoor life. And I feel the same way about jackfruit. I like it, but it does not fill me up at all. I always have to have something protein-y on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, his little ear gets me every time!
      Jackfruit definitely needs a little protein assist to be filling.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, I am so, so happy for Bubba! He looks so content and settled in already; you definitely made the right call bringing him in when you did!
    Your food looks great as always; I'm glad that you found a nice way to use your jackfruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's like a whole new cat. He just needed a little help making the decision,which is so relatable!!
      I do miss the jackfruit for a tofu press, it was the perfect sized can!

      Delete
  6. I am so happy for Bubba and for you! Good boy! I had noticed that he hadn't been mentioned for a while, but didn't want to ask too much in case something unfortunate had happened. But this is the best news!

    Your food looks wonderful as well. The BBQ and potato salad is a perfect summer meal. I agree with you about jackfruit. It is fun, but it is not filling. Are you quesadillas spinach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to let him fully make the choice, but he just needed a little nudge in the right direction! He is like a whole new boy!
      Yes, the quesadillas are spinach and herb. They're really nice, just too pricey like everything gluten free!

      Delete