Friday, August 30, 2019

Kitchen Upgrade

I've lived with a small oven with only three working burners the entire time I've lived in this apartment. Since my oven was so small, it only had one shelf and I could only fit one thing at a time in there. No double baking for me!! I told my landlord when I first moved in about the burner that basically blew up and didn't work, and she just never seemed to care. In a black and white world there are landlords and then there are slumlords, but we live in a grey world and my landlord teeters that line between the two.
She mentioned the possibility of having a new oven installed months ago, but time passed and I forgot all about it. Until this week when I got a text about a new oven coming!! Even though my new oven is like the cheapest, most basic oven you could ever imagine, it's still brand new and more important full sized with four working burners, including two large burners, and a full size oven with two racks!! I can now bake everything!!!
Old tiny oven

New oven with a clock!!
I'm very, very excited and happy to have a fully functioning stove!!! I lost all the drawers between the stove and refrigerator but that's okay. Most of them had kind of turned into junk drawers anyway.
I'm so happy this happened, but it was a bit stressful because the handy man is very loud, and VERY messy. He left like half an inch of dust or sand or something on the kitchen floor, and he left dirty rags and some kind of really heavy ruler looking thing here. I always dread when he has to come clomping around.
This was my first meal cooked in my new oven! Quinoa, baked tofu, romaine, cucumber, avocado and spicy peanut sauce. I was a little stressed and wanted comfort food!
I think I've tried every vegan flavor of the Outshine bars except peach. I've been scared to try them because while I like peaches, I hate peach flavored things. It always tastes so freaking fake. I decided to be brave and give these a try because every other flavor is so stellar. I'm happy to say these are delicious too!! They taste like real peach, and they're kind of creamy, almost like sorbet. Highly recommend!!!



14 comments:

  1. No kitty photos? What happened to the owner of this blog? She always posts at least one interesting kitty pic? I hope the cats weren't in the drawers that got removed. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding? They're more bothered by the clomping handy man than me!! There wasn't a kitty in sight!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is so exciting! I know what you mean. I left my last apartment because it was sold to the slumlord type and they did crazy things like respond to my report that the pipes were frozen and I had no running water with "it'll thaw eventually" (I felt pretty smug when they had to act because of the flood beneath my apartment when the pipes burst as I predicted). Sorry you have one of those. What are you baking this winter? Oh, the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm glad you got out of there!! I've definitely had slummier landlords, but I've also had much better. It's pretty infuriating.
      Ha I would have felt smug too!!
      I'm definitely going to make some vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies soon, and for some reason when I first got the oven I was imagining cooking an entire Thanksliving dinner all at once!!

      Delete
  3. That looks exactly my oven! Seriously. My oven is exactly the same. So now can we expect even more delicious food from you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! Maybe the new oven will bring me some inspiration!!

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh I'm so excited for you!!! That's amazing to finally have a fully functioning, bigger over and stove. I can only imagine the amazing things that will come of out there! Your first meal looks amazing and hooray for more popsicles! I'm glad the peach didn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot how nice it is to have a big burner!! Water boils so much faster!!!! And my tofu bakes so much faster too!!

      Delete
  5. Yay, I am so excited that you finally got a new oven! I can't wait to see all the yummy food you make with it; your first meal looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm part of the real world now!!

      Delete
  6. YAY! So excited for your new oven. I also get so stressed when tradesmen are around. But I am glad you can now cook and bake to your heart's content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I thought I was alone in my stress! It just feels so violating and annoying because this guy makes such a mess!!!
      In the end it was worth it though!!!!

      Delete
  7. Definitely not alone. And it is weird because they have to be there, they are providing a service that you want, but still it is such a violation of space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yey new oven! So pretty and shiny!

    ReplyDelete