Saturday, August 3, 2019

Back With a Sprouts Haul!

I went to Sprouts yesterday and when I came home I just automatically took pictures of my little haul. After getting so many incredibly kind comments on my last post I felt like dipping my toe back in the pond.
I got some really nice, supportive comments on my last post and I'm not ashamed to admit it made me cry. But in a good way. I needed to cry in a good way. The truth is I got more support than I get in my real life, like ever so it really, really meant a lot. I'm really so grateful. Words mean a lot and I felt very lifted by your kind words. And I needed a lift!
I enjoyed not taking pictures of my food to be honest. I just enjoyed my simple little meals, I enjoyed the taste without criticizing how it looked or if the meal was too beige, too boring, too whatever. So I want to keep feeling that way. Overpriced fancy vegan foods are getting all the shine, and I want to do my little part to show love for beans, potatoes and all things cheap!
Speaking of cheap, here is my haul for the week from Sprouts. I had a five dollar off coupon and they had some great sales, so I got lots of fresh produce!
Tofu, kombucha, fizzy water, veganaise,potatoes



Celery, coconut cream and milk, baby carrots, daiya cheddar block,seaweed snacks, tea,rice cakes,lime popsicles
Avocados,nectarines,kiwi,yellow and red plums,oranges,apples,lemon,bananas,strawberries,green onions,cucumber,bulk spices, ataulfo mangoes,taco seasoning

I got all of this for around fifty five dollars. Not bad considering all the produce I got. I like Sprouts because almost all of their produce is loose so I'm not getting tons of plastic. I'm looking at you Trader Joe's. You love plastic clam shells a little too much.
Also, if you live near a Sprouts, daiya is thirty five percent off this week, so I got their cheddar block for three something. 
Kiki likes to hold down her prey. It's not always easy for a gal to find the perfect cuddle partner!!
Happy Caturday!


5 comments:

  1. Happy to know you're still here! And definitely you can show love for beans and rice. I absolutely love a good bowl of beans and rice. One of my long-term go-to cheap meals is Cuban black beans and rice, and yes, it's a weird looking bowl of sludge to some extent if I just have that without anything else but it's still nutritious sludge and I love it. There's a recipe on my site but also plenty of other recipes for it. Easy and generally pretty cheap; it does use a bell pepper which can be pricey sometimes but if there is a sale it's there for you. And you can do as I do and eat secret bowls of it in bed without ever telling the internet. ;)

    But you have a beautiful haul with all that fruit! Ooh, and celery! Why is celery so expensive lately? I get sticker shock every time I buy it.

    I think the reason Trader Joe's packages their produce like that is that their registers don't have scales. I notice the same thing at Target. But yes, it's way, way too much plastic for my taste much of the time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me so happy to know that you are feeling better. I know what you mean, sometimes you just need a cathartic good cry. I'm glad that you are feeling supported, we are always here for you. I know what you mean about having more support online than you do in real life. I have both but sometimes it feels like my online support is more consistent and reliable than in "real life."

    I love your budget meals so much and I'm looking forward to the inspiration! I see a lot of oats, beans and rice and potatoes in my future! I will forever be jealous of your Sprouts hauls, they seem to have really great deals on a regular basis and that store is just amazing in general! Your haul looks amazing!

    Aww Caturday Cuddles! Welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! Good to know your little break lifted your spirits and the haul looks incredible! I'm with the Student/Doctor when I say bring on the beans and rice! I just returned from a Cuban restaurant with my sister where I ordered Arroz con Gandule (rice and pigeon peas) and avocado. The "side" dishes were the only vegan items on the menu, but that was 100% fine with me! I love me some beans and rice. Topped of with a splash of hot sauce and the avocado slices - I was in heaven. So bring on those potatoes, beans, rice, tofu and curries (especially your lovely saucy curries)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Kiki, that is one way to get a cuddle.
    I am glad to see you back, I love seeing your posts. Honestly, I find that the support I have from friends online far outweighs the support I have in the 'real world' (online is the real world too, but you know what I mean). I was explaining to someone that the internet and social media isn't isolating me from the world, it is connecting me to the world and to friends and to community. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to see you posting again, and I'm glad you could feel everyone's support for you! Your produce haul looks so colorful, and I really need to look out for some lime popsicles; they sound like they would be so refreshing! Kiki is way too cute!

    ReplyDelete