Monday, March 18, 2019

Violife For the Win!!

English cucumbers with balsamic vinaigrette and a little black pepper is one of life's little treats. I think balsamic was meant to be paired with cucumbers! This is one of my new favorite snacks!
I'm a big fan of Violife's smoked provolone and mature cheddar slices, so I was excited to see the shreds at Natural Grocers. I wanted to make some mac and cheese yesterday so this seemed perfect!
When you open the bag you are not assaulted with a weird smell like when you open a bag of daiya. The shreds are also very dry, and almost fluffy? This is hands down my favorite shredded cheese I've used. I tasted some right out of the bag and it's GOOD!! It tastes like the cheddar slices, only shredded! Makes sense right? With daiya I definitely notice a difference between their farmhouse blocks and shreds.
I saw a recipe for Buffalo "chicken" mac and cheese and couldn't stop thinking about it. I used baked tofu for my "chicken" and it was great! The recipe I saw drizzled some vegan blue cheese on top which looked nice and I'm sure tasted great. Vegan ranch would be nice too. But it was also nice with no sauce! I used soaked cashews and Violife for the mac and cheese and I just baked the tofu and tossed it with Frank's red hot sauce. This was very comforting and delicious. I've made vegan mac and cheeses with quite a few different cheeses and I definitely think Violife is my favorite!




9 comments:

  1. Your mac & cheese looks so creamy, and the buffalo tofu sounds great, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely one of my better mac and cheeses, and the credit definitely goes to violife!!

      Delete
  2. Buffalo mac?! OMG! I need that in my life. I haven't seen the shreds for sale yet in Memphis, but I'll check the Natural Grocers in Jonesboro, Ark when I'm there next time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Natural Grocers near me has the violife cream cheese too! I have to try that next!!

      Delete
  3. I am constantly snacking on cucumbers! Usually the everything bagel spice is my go to, but I really like to dip in a tiny tiny bit of mild miso (had an appetizer at a japanese izakaya once that was this and loved it ever since)
    Basalmic is great on everything! For years i just used basalmic and a little olive oil for salad dressing, now i use it most when roasting veggies.

    I haven’t seen violife anything here! Stupid nyc stores just don’t carry a lot of stuff- sounds like it made for an awesome mac and cheese :))
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mix the miso with anything, or just the straight miso paste? That sounds really tasty!
      Violife ties with chao for the best mac and cheese for sure!

      Delete
    2. It’s just the plain miso paste! The japanese izakaya served it with a mild white miso so you can fully appreciate the delicate flavor. Sounds totally crazy i know, but with a light mild miso and the tiniest bit on the cucumber it’s really unique and fantastic.
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  4. OMG the buffalo mac n cheese looks incredible! Your cheese sauce looks so creamy and delicious, I definitely need to try the cashew/vegan cheese combo. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That mac and cheese looks awesome! Cheddar would be perfect for a dish like that.

    ReplyDelete