Sunday, March 31, 2019

Back On a Normal Day of Eating


Even though my vegan keto experiment is over I'm still experimenting with higher protein. So I picked up a few protein powder packets to try in smoothies. I'm not a fan of protein powders at all, but last week I picked one up at Target and I was surprised when I didn't hate it.
Yesterday I decided to add this Sprouts protein powder to my smoothie and see how I liked it.
I used an acai packet, blackberries, raspberries, hemp hearts, walnuts, mango and the protein powder. It wasn't bad, but people who like protein powder would probably like it a lot more. It definitely had a nice vanilla flavor, it's just that protein powdery chalky feeling I don't like.
I definitely missed my orange carrot juice last week! Sprouts had cuties mandarins on sale this week so it was meant to happen!
This is the worst picture of such a delicious dinner! Cauliflower gnocchi from Trader Joe's with a cashew basil cream sauce and a salad with balsamic vinaigrette. This was so delicious! Basil compliments the gnocchi so much.
I found Roxy just lounging like this the other day! She looks like she's had one too many drinks and barely made it to the couch!!!




8 comments:

  1. Have you noticed any benefits or changes so far in your experiment with protein powders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel a little stronger in a weird way. I was walking somewhere the other day after having a smoothie with protein powder and I just felt a little extra spring in my step.

      Delete
  2. Roxy looks like it has been a rough day. ;)

    Protein powders are a baffling game. I've only ever found one I liked enough to buy a full bag of, but that was after my friend gave me some of hers to sample. All protein powders should offer a free sample before you have to commit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about protein powders! Even the single packets are a bit pricey an some of them are really, really bad.
      I feel like I might go the Ttrockwood route and just try peanut butter powder!!

      Delete
  3. The secret to protein powder in smoothies is don’t use the entire packet or the full serving size. I swear it would have to be a bucket of smoothie to have any protein powder not noticeable, and vegan protein powders a serving is like a full 1/4 cup! The one i liked the serving was 2 big scoops but i found either one scoop or 1.5 scoops was significantly better. So like two protein packets to make three smoothies. Honestly peanut flour or peanut powder is nearly the same protein content, just a lot cheaper and more delicious without any texture issues. I was seriously upset when TJs stopped selling it!
    That basil sauce sounds delicious- most of my meals are not photogenic
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used half the pack of the Vega instead of the whole thing and it made a huge difference! Thanks for the tip, it helps save money too!
      I'm going to try peanut butter powder, it seems more economical anyway!

      Delete
    2. Oh good! It really is a massive improvement with just using less of it.
      The peanut flour isn’t that PB2 stuff, but literally only ingredient should read “defatted peanuts” or whatever. One ingredient. A natural foods store should have it- or maybe that crazy store you went to with all those bulk bins..? Should be really cheap, like. $2-3/lb
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  4. It was really insightful.
    Thanks for such a nice content.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look petreviewz thanks

    ReplyDelete