Saturday, March 23, 2019

Trying New Things

I've mentioned on this blog that I have hypothyroidism, which isn't serious, but one of the symptoms is weight gain, or difficulty losing weight. I definitely struggle with the difficult part. I feel like I've been trying to lose the same twenty pounds for over five years.
I told myself this was going to be the year that I find a way to drop these pounds. I'm tired of feeling helpless over something that should be so easy to fix.
I've decided to try something crazy. I never thought I'd ever be typing this, but I'm going to experiment a little this week with vegan keto!!! Any keto traditionalists will hate me because I'm only experimenting, dipping my toe in. I've been thinking about this for over a month, and I just want to try it. From all the videos I've watched keto can force people to be a bit micro-managy about food, and I definitely don't want to live like that. So for a week I'm going to just decrease my carbs and up my fat and protein. I mean it seems like people lose weight when they cut carbs so why not try it. I'm also cutting out all processed sugar for a week. That's something I've been wanting to do for awhile, and since sugar is a carb it make sense to try it this week!
I will be eating A LOT of green veggies and tofu. I went to Trader Joe's yesterday and it's pretty darn green!!
Mint green tea, iceberg lettuce, sunflower seeds,lemons,Brussels sprouts,onion, Romaine lettuce,butter lettuce,cilantro, green onion,kombucha,avocados,
Cauliflower gnocchi,frozen blueberries,tofu frozen raspberries,black olives, same booch(ha ha) coconut milk, peanut butter

I'm kind of embarrassed to even be admitting this because I have rolled my eyes SO many times at the keto trend. But this weight was put on many years ago when I was very unhappy, unhealthy and lost. I was drinking and smoking way too much, and making pretty bad and self destructive decisions. I've come a long way and I just want to fully shed that part of my life.
So I'm going to experiment with the low carb thing a little and see how I feel, how my body reacts and what they hype is all about.
This was my dinner last night. I tossed some Brussels sprouts and tofu with a little coconut oil, garlic and tamari and roasted for about thirty minutes, and then had that with a salad. I drizzled the whole plate with a spicy peanut sauce and added some sunflower seeds on top. I didn't even miss the rice to be honest with you. I definitely know I'll be having this again!
There is so much activity going on outside. Spring has made the birds and squirrels much more active, and since the tree right outside doesn't have leaves yet, you can see it all! Joan goes insane, chattering and being a bad girl with claws on the screen! We're working on that issue. The branches are so close to the window!!


6 comments:

  1. The haul looks great and the salad looks incredible! I've heard that some people have some pretty good results on keto. My only thing that I would say to watch out for is the keto flu. Apparently when your body reaches ketosis it can react pretty harshly and you can end up feeling really sick. I am definitely interested in seeing what you eat (vegan keto isn't easy!) and how you feel! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about the keto flu too. So far I don't feel any of it, but I'm also not being super militant so there's that! Ha ! So far I actually feel great, and I thought I'd be a lot grumpier with no rice and no potatoes!!

      Delete
  2. When our bodies betray us, we have to figure out new ways to try to get them to cooperate. I hope this works out well for you! An experiment sounds reasonable, and I love tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like experimenting with different natural ways to heal is beneficial and I kind of like it. I've been flirting with the idea for so long and I finally decided to just go for it!!
      I love tofu too, I don't think I could give up both potatoes and tofu!

      Delete
  3. So weird I thought i had commented yesterday...
    anyways, your approach sounds more level headed than the obsessive macro counting keto/paleo thing which I think would take any potential joy out of meals. And seriously who wants to measure how many carrots or onions they’re “allowed” to have??
    Hopefully this makes you feel more awesome :))
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out Chocolate Covered Katie-she has a bunch of vegan keto desserts!!!

    ReplyDelete