Friday, March 1, 2019

Vegan Adventures at Carl's Jr.!

Yesterday I was invited to go on a mini road trip at the last moment. I decided to go because I LOVE road trips! Because of the spontaneous decision I didn't have time to make any food. So, when the hunger started our options were Subway and Carl's Jr. Also I randomly saw a Sizzler. Who even knew those still existed??
We chose Carl's Jr. because since I can't have the bread at Subway the veggie delight salad just doesn't really stick with you. I've never been to a Carl's Jr., I've never even lived in a state that has one until I moved to Utah. I've also never tried the Beyond burger. I cooked one for a friend, and it smelled so meaty, and also left red juice in my pan that resemble blood and it just didn't really appeal to me. But I decided to throw my fear aside and give it a try.
I ordered the Beyond burger with no bun, no cheese and no special sauce. It was very simple to order, and it didn't take ten minutes to ask, explain and alter the food to make it vegan.
I asked them to add BBQ sauce because I have to have a sauce! I was very pleasantly surprised. This was super tasty, and maybe I've just been gluten free for too long, but I didn't miss the bun at all! The lettuce was crisp and refreshing, and kept the meal from being too much.
I've been vegan for ten years, and in those ten years I've taken a lot of road trips, and greyhound bus trips, and had some rough, hungry times. I can remember one greyhound trip from Seattle to Erie Pa. living on nothing but chips and peanuts from gas stations. For three days.  We've come so far, and more non vegans will probably give a veggie burger a chance coming from a place like Carl's Jr. Maybe some people will choose this instead of a regular burger out of curiosity and fall in love!! I see this as amazing progress and I am so excited to witness it!


9 comments:

  1. Better than chips and peanuts, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for spontaneous mini road trip!! That sounds like fun!
    I didn’t realize carl’s jr had the beyond burger- dunno if there even is one in nyc? Sounds like it was a great option- good call on adding bbq sauce. Looks fantastic on the lettuce, some veg burgers are actually better on salads than buns i think.
    I actually read somewhere that subway has a new vegan falafel option! I can get awesome falafel anywhere (ie the truck four blocks away that fries them to order :)) so I won’t be going to try it, but it’s exciting to see more options becoming widely available!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Carl's Jr. is a west coast chain?? I never even saw one in Seattle. The bbq sauce went really well with the smoky flavor from the grill.
      I do remember reading about the falafel at subway. But I don't remember if it was in all locations or just certain locations. But I agree, I'm excited to see so many options!!

      Delete
    2. So random, i just saw this youtube video about taco bell and a ton of their menu items can be made vegan by asking for it “fresco style” and they will swap black beans for beef in anything. Another fast food option!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  3. Ahhh how fun! That sounds like such a great time, road trips are so much fun! The fact that it was a spontaneous road trip makes it even more exciting! That is great that you were able to find a more hearty vegan meal option on the road. It is disappointing when gas station snacks are your only option but the burger looks amazing and I agree, bbq sauce is a genius addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited because I wonder how many meat eaters might try it and love it. And it tasted great! It's just nice to see fast food places embracing vegan options!!

      Delete
  4. I didn't know they had the Beyond Burger! Wow! That's so cool! And yes, sauce is important. I'd probably do ketchup and mustard but barbecue sauce sounds nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a Carl Jr opening up near me, but I doubt the Australian ones will have the vegan burger. Alas. I'd try it at least once!
    It is really great to see more and more places having options, especially if you are on the road.

    ReplyDelete