Tuesday, March 19, 2019

New and Improved Hummus and More!

I went back to Trader Joe's yesterday to exchange that thin, runny Buffalo hummus. The customer service person agreed that the horrible texture is too much. He also said the avocado hummus is really weird too. So avoid both of those flavors if you don't like runny hummus!
I chose the cilantro jalapeno hummus because it sounded really, really good and I've never tried it! I tried it when I got home and it's AMAZING! Don't let the jalapeno scare you, it's not really spicy. I also picked up some baby Bok Choy. I've never had Bok Choy, baby or not!! Crazy right? It scares me to be honest. When I see people eating it steamed it looks slimy and weird.I'm gagging just thinking about it! My mom ruined steamed veggies for me. I can't think of a single vegetable I'll eat steamed to be honest. If steamed veggies are my only option, I'll wait till I have more options. I'm making japchae this week, so I'm going to use the greens only in that, and I'll use the weird bulb part in juice.
I also picked up these random items. While at Natural Grocers last week I forgot Nag Champa which was the whole reason I went there! They had Live Kombucha on sale for $1.69 a bottle too!! I've never seen the raspberry flavor! I also love the Tuscan Bouquet bath salts. It makes my bathroom smell soooooooo good! Even the day after my bath it still smells like a Tuscan Bouquet!
I decided to try the Explore Cuisine edamame spaghetti. I don't know why, it's double the cost of gluten free pasta and triple the cost of regular but I wanted to give it a try. So I made some baked tofu and peanut noodles using the pasta. I will say that the texture is much better than other bean pastas, but it tastes so strongly of soy it's distracting. I know I'm in the minority because bean pastas are all the rage, even with non vegans but I am just not a fan.  I would just rather eat regular less expensive gluten free pasta with some actual beans. Beans are one of the cheapest foods out there, but yet bean pastas are the most expensive pasta. Weird right?
Afro's favorite spot, the corner of the couch with her favorite blanket. This was a rare moment when no one was crowding her and she had the whole corner to herself!




7 comments:

  1. I love that Trader Joe's has such a great return policy and I'm glad you were able to get a hummus that you loved! The haul looks awesome, I really wish I had access to the Live Kombuchas. The meal looks great and you are not alone, I'm not a huge fan of bean pastas either. Sweet Afro, she looks so peaceful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. It makes it easier to get brave and try new things. Some stores make it really difficult to exchange or return items.
      I'm glad I'm not alone, bean pastas are definitely having their cauliflower moment!

      Delete
  2. Glad you returned that hummus for one you love! Oh man, too bad you were so traumatized by steamed veggies, when done the right way they can be a tasty quick option.
    Use the white part of the bok choy! It has a more firm texture- just chop off the top greens, then chop up the white part and saute that in your japchae (cooks super quickly) and then add the softer green tops at the end, they wilt pretty quickly.
    Another great bok choy thing that’s super easy is just cut through the bulb/root part in half the long way and then into quarters through the root if you want. Just saute with a little soy sauce, sesame oil and maybe some guochujang or chili flakes. You’re going to like it!
    I don’t understand bean pastas. Then again I’m not gf and get plenty of protein and fiber from elsewhere.... i also ate too much pasta in college so I don’t seek it out regularly
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to try sauteing bok choy sometime, like the whole thing. I'd probably quarter it. I bet it would be good grilled like that too!
      I agree about bean pasta. Like I said, I'd rather just eat actual beans. They're cheaper and definitely tastier!

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about hte whole shiny bok choy thing. I don't know why it does that. I hope you had a good meal with the bok choy. The only advice I give is that you cook the thicker parts for a little longer than the greens, so like saute the stems then add the greens at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed bok choy the times I've had it, but I've never cooked it myself! Your meal looks great, too bad about the pasta, though! Yay for Afro getting to enjoy some alone time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky Afro, a peaceful slumber.
    That is awesome that Trader Joe's exchanged the hummus for you!

    ReplyDelete