Saturday, May 19, 2018

What I've Been Eating and Drinking

This is the watermelon I got at Trader Joe's last week. It was pretty good, although not quite as sweet as other watermelons I've had recently. I ate half of it and juiced the other half along with some spinach.
The color is a little strange. It looks like those brownish red tomatoes I see sometimes in the produce section. I think they're called kumatos? But it was incredibly sweet and delicious. For some reason if you juice a not so sweet watermelon the juice is very sweet. I just noticed little Kiki in the background having a nap.
This was my quick lazy meal the other night. Waffle fries and tofu nuggets dipped in Just mayo mixed with spicy mustard. If I had agave I would have added a little to the sauce to make a mock honey mustard.
I tried sharing my smoothie but Etta doesn't care for blackberry seeds getting in her teeth. It's super rare when I can get a great picture of Etta's gorgeous face. She is usually super camera shy.
This was my dinner last night. It looks kind of pathetic because my flash is acting weird and I'm not even close to tech-y enough to figure out how to fix it. It was doing this awhile ago and I restarted my phone which seemed to work, and now it's not working so that's frustrating. But this tasted way less pathetic than it looks. More waffle fries with one of the Sprouts vegan chicken patties. I really like the chicken patties, although they're more like a burger. It isn't the texture of the boca chicken or any vegan nugget I've had. They taste great, and I'm okay with it being different. I've reached the point where I don't want realistic faux meats. I have zero interest in trying the Impossible burger. I don't want my food to bleed even if it is from beets. Also these patties are pretty inexpensive, $2.99 a box for four patties.
Etta is camera shy, Kiki however is my little camera lover. I was taking a picture of something else and she started posing to get my attention. She loves to show off her belly to the world!






5 comments:

  1. I tried the Beyond Burger and it was way too realistic for me. The smell and the way it looked when I was cooking it, the taste... not for me. But on the plus side, my omni dad loved it and said he would eat it again! So I am very glad that they exist, but very happy to keep my mock meat decidedly mock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Although I'm not interested in the realistic meats, I'm super happy they exist for the vegans who love them and also for the non vegans. It's the non vegans especially.
      I'm glad your dad liked them!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, i keep buying watermelon when i see a good price on it but it’s certainly not at its peak yet. I like a bit of lime juice and salt on it- or for the watermelon i have juiced i like it with some cucumber and lemon or lime.
    The chicken patties seem like a good find! I agree and there are some faux meats I don’t like because they are just too meaty for me-however i am greatful they exist to help those who are transitioning to a plant based diet. Funny story is my (omni) mom bought a little package at whole foods of what she thought was this mayo based chicken salad she buys often and likes. After eating it she went to rinse the container and noticed it said vegan! Haha! It was beyond meat chicken and vegan mayo. So now she purposely buys the vegan one since she couldn’t tell the difference :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try lime juice and salt. I bet that helps bring out the flavor. I have a two melons from Srouts to try now. A watermelon and a honeydew.
      I agree, I say keep bringing on the realistic faux meats because it seems like a lot of non vegans love them and that's what matters.
      Ha, that's awesome about your mom! What a great mistake!

      Delete
  3. I half agree with you on the whole "it doesn't have to taste like meat" thing. I like different textures and stuff, so sometimes if it doesn't taste JUST like something, I'll still enjoy it. Though I tried the impossible burger. It was awesome! Though it didn't "bleed"

    ReplyDelete