Monday, May 28, 2018

Green Chili Hummus

So I made my first attempt at making Hatch chili white bean hummus and it turned out great! It's pretty dang close to the hummus I love from Lantana. I read the ingredients which included white beans(no specifics, just white beans) hatch chili, sunflower and or olive oil, and a few other things.
I wasn't sure what kind of white bean to get, so I decided to go with great northern. I bought a bag of dried and soaked some overnight and cooked the next day. I always cook my dry beans with garlic and onion powder for extra flavor.
These are the chilis I used. I tasted them and any canned green chili will do. Etta and Keeks are having a tumble in the background!

                                                      Hatch Chile White Bean Hummus
  • 2 1/2 Cup Cooked White beans, or One can
  • 1 4 oz. Can of diced green hatch or green chile (roasted)
  • 1 Tsp. pickled Jalapeno plus 1/2 Tsp. Juice
  • Juice of Half a Lemon
  • 3/4 tsp. Salt
  • 1 1/2 T. Tahini
Add the beans, tahini, salt, lemon juice, jalapenos plus juice and three tablespoons of the green chile to your food processor and whiz until smooth and creamy. Once the hummus is blended, add it to your serving dish and put the remaining green chiles on top.

Although the original hummus has oil I made mine oil free. I'm not against oil but I also don't feel a need to use it when it isn't needed. I feel like tahini gives hummus the extra creaminess and fattiness it needs. And this hummus is super creamy. I had the rest of my Lantana hummus right before I made this so the taste was super fresh in my memory and this is pretty dang close! And for people who are spice sensitive, the canned roasted green chiles are very mild. I'm sure there are hot versions, but all that I've had are very mild.
In other kitchen news I made this red lentil, potato and soy curl curry last night. I also made some homemade cilantro lime rice to go with it. I made a big batch and I'm taking some to a coworker. It turned out really creamy and delicious. I really love how the red lentils just kind of become one with the broth. The coworker I'm sharing with is not vegan and I think she'll appreciate soy curls toothsome but not trying to be meat texture.
If anyone is interested these are the jalapenos I used in my hummus. I could tell in the original they use pickled jalapenos because it has that little tang. I think it's the juice even more than the peppers that gives it that extra zip!





11 comments:

  1. Your hummus recipe looks really good! I hope I can find roasted hatch chili's at the grocery store-i want to make it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! I really think any fire roasted green chiles will work though!! I hope you love it!

      Delete
  2. Ooh girl, you are seriously upping your cooking game these days. Both the hummus and that curry look seriously delicious. Thank you so much for posting the hummus recipe (since I STILL can't find the dang Lantana brand anywhere!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find Lantana sometime! According to their website they should be available in your areas. I'm going to try and tackle the carrot sriracha next!!

      Delete
  3. Hi there, my kombucha-loving vegan friend,

    Can we thrive with UNITY? Of course, GT's summer season flavor UNITY is here to bring kombucha harmony to your taste buds. Cherry. Coconut. Lemongrass. Need I say more? If you liked the mild essence of BLOOM, you'll love the weirdly intriguing mix of UNITY! Enjoy responsibly ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious!! I'll be on the lookout for that flavor!

      Delete
  4. Oooh that hummus looks incredible! I love how you went and made it yourself and I'm glad it turned out well! The pic with the kitties in the background is too funny. The curry looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really turned out well. I'm going to attempt the carrot sriracha flavor next!!!

      Delete
  5. I reached Complete Hummus Burnout a few years ago after basically eating it almost daily for, well, years. This sounds so much better though! Although certainly too spicy for me. I can’t deal with store bought hummus but once in a while i make my own using the Zahav hummus recipe which is kind of an ordeal but it’s so amazing because you use the starchy bean cooking liquid and a crazy amount of tahini that gives it this silky fluffy texture. With the tahini and warm bean liquid i barely use any added oil because it is plenty rich and smooth without it.
    Ttrockwood
    https://food52.com/recipes/42695-zahav-s-hummus-tehina
    The baking soda with the beans really helps the texture too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go in and out of hummus burnout too. I'm going to try and recreate the carrot sriracha next. Lantana uses a lot of beans that aren't garbanzo. I actually don't think any of their hummus is made with garbanzos now that I think about it.
      That recipe sounds so decadent!!

      Delete
  6. Mmm... that dip sounds yummy. I have tons of cooked black beans and it probably would taste yummy as well. Though I don't have any of the peppers or jalapenos. T_T I use to have a bunch of pickled jalapenos from my CSA but I think the jar froze and the glass broke so I had to throw them out.

    ReplyDelete