Monday, May 14, 2018

My Best Curry Yet!

I was off yesterday and it was a cool grey day. Perfect weather for a curry! I struggled for years with making curries. I either added too much or too little curry powder or paste and after awhile I gave up. I lived in Seattle at the time so it was easy to pick up an inexpensive curry pretty much anywhere. I miss those days. I started getting better at making curries while living in Erie,PA. It was either learn or not have curry anything. I had some major fails but finally kind of figured it out. Where there'e a will there's a way right? Last night my curry was probably the best curry I've ever made. I think it's because I added a little tamari near the end of simmering. It gave the curry a deeper flavor. I feel kind of silly posting the recipe because it's so simple and I'm sure everyone has a favorite curry, and also I've posted simple curries before, but this just tasted so dang amazing and maybe there is someone reading this who also struggles with curry dishes.




                                                                                                                                                
                                                         Red Lentil and Potato Curry

  • 1 Onion Minced
  • 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
  • 3 Medium Russet Potatoes, Peeled and Diced
  • 3/4 C. Red Lentils
  • 1/2 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 Tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
  • 2 T. Curry Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Pepper
  • 1/4 Tsp. Garlic Powder
  • 1 1/2 T. Tamari/ Soy Sauce/ Braggs Liquid Aminos or Coconut Aminos
  • 1 T. Sambal Oelek
  • 1 Can Coconut milk
  • 3/4 C. Water
Saute the minced onion and garlic with water or a little coconut oil on medium heat for three or four minutes. Add diced potatoes, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, garlic and curry powder. Saute for about two more minutes and then add the lentils and water. Add the can of coconut milk and bring to a boil. Turn down heat, and add the Sambal Oelek. Simmer for about twenty minutes until the potatoes are tender and the lentils have softened. Add the tamari and let simmer for a few minutes.

I love making curries with red lentils because they kind of dissolve into the curry making it really thick and luscious. Also red lentils are super quick cooking so if you get a spontaneous craving for a curry this can be dinner in under thirty minutes. Since curries always taste better the next day, I like to make this earlier in the day, and then reheat it while I cook the rice. This would be great with some Naan bread to sop up every last bit of sauce!
There is just so much bird an squirrel activity going on and the girls have been loving it! There is activity going on outside of all three windows that are available so they all have ample space for watching!
           
                                                                                                                                                                                   

3 comments:

  1. What a perfect meal for a gray day! It looks seriously incredible, thanks for sharing the recipe! Love the quote on the tea bag and the girls are too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a perfect meal! It's such a simple recipe but it's sooooo good!
    I've been loving the yogi tea bags lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how red lentils make everything so thick and yummy. Looks like the perfect dinner for an overcast day.

    ReplyDelete