Sunday, May 13, 2018

We've Come a Long Way Baby!

I saw a post on Instagram about the coconut kefir from GT's a while ago, and when I went to Natural Grocers I was surprised to see it on the shelves. It's definitely more expensive than kombucha so I don't know if I'll try it, but nice to know that it's available!
These Alive drinks are new to me. They are probiotic ciders made with medicinal mushrooms and apple cider vinegar. Again these are pricier than booch, but if I have a splurge day I might try one because I know medicinal mushrooms are really good for you, and they have a mate mint flavor and yerba mate is one of my favorite teas ever! Gt's also is making coconut yogurt! It's almost five dollars for a not very big jar so again this would be a splurge for me. But I do miss yogurt and these come in a glass jar that I could reuse so it would be worth the splurge. I saw a picture of a Yoplait yogurt container from the seventies that washed up on a beach and it was in perfect condition. I haven't bought a yogurt since. Anyway isn't it crazy how many probiotic related stuff keeps popping up? I remember when GT's was one of the only kombuchas you could find and if you did run across more than one option it was like the best day ever!
Sorry for the worse than usual picture! Last night I actually got off work at ten P.M. instead of midnight, so I celebrated with some lentil, jalapeno and daiya cheddar quesadillas on Ezekiel tortillas.
Just like probiotic beverages and foods vegan cheese has also come so far. Look at that melt!! These were ooey and gooey and so satisfying. I bet non vegans would even know the difference. I'm starting to see all these lactaid free dairy products like milk and several ice creams. They aren't dairy free, just lactaid free. I don't know, I don't get it. There are so many amazing vegan cheeses out there. And the plant milk options are pretty astounding. Vegans really will make milk out of anything. Ha!
I have today off and Roxy and Afro are lounging in bed with me.The birds and squirrels are really active today so the other girls are running back and forth between windows!




6 comments:

  1. K, so i tried that probiotic coconut yogurt and it was GROSS. Tasted like....fermented coconut! It’s possible it wasn’t stored or transported the right way, i double checked the date because i found it on clearance for $2, but the texture was more like a thick jelly than a yogurt.
    That’s a great sale price for the kombucha, i only buy it once in a while since i make my own now because it’s expensive and i want to drink it daily!
    The quesadilla sounds like the perfect solve for the tortillas :))
    Glad you had today off to enjoy mother’s day with your babies, they’re so lucky to have you!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for telling me about the yogurt. I kind of had a feeling it might be weird and it's so pricey! Now I definitely know I'm not interested!!
      I'm going to start brewing my own booch again. I just have to go to the thrift store to get a big jug. It saves so much money!!
      We had a great day!

      Delete
    2. I feel like you would have the magic touch with kombucha home brew :)) i usually just flavor mine with a simple lemon ginger combo, and i found that all green tea actually helps with better carbonation during the second ferment in the bottle. Oh, and you’re gonna love this- adding a tiny bit of cayenne to the bottle for the second ferment makes crazy bubbles! Like soda!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  2. All those lactose free products have been on the market forever. But I think you are right that companies are starting to market them more- probably to compete with all the vegan non-dairy stuff.

    Stinks about the plastic with yogurt. Luckily most recycling centers are stepping up and recycling number five plastics. I remember it use to be hard to find places that would take them, or you would take them to whole foods because they had special bins just for the yogurt. I noticed a lot of the vegan yogurts will have lids, which are nice to save sauces for dipping. I should look up if there are any "kids projects" on pinterest to reuse some of the yogurt containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that lactose free milk has been around awhile, but I recently noticed lactose free ice cream and something else. It's like just stop eating dairy if it makes you that sick!!!! Gahhhhh!
      Since I on't have recycling where I live or at my job I just can't have the single cups of yogurt. Unless like you said they have actual lids because I can reuse the containers.

      Delete
  3. I head so many people saying things like 'dairy gives my eczema, but I just love chocolate'... 'dairy hurts my tummy, but I just like icing'... 'dairy makes my bones hurt (!!!), but I just love cupcakes too much'... There is a whole glorious dairy free world out here, just waiting for them!

    ReplyDelete