Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Kitchen Experiments

I use to love jalapeno poppers. Specifically stuffed with cream cheese. When I would come across a cheddar cheese stuffed popper it was always disappointing. When I first went vegan I dreamed of making a vegan version, but my deep deep fear of deep frying always stopped me. Somewhere along the way I guess I just kind of forgot about jalapeno poppers. Until Saturday while at Trader Joe's, I picked up a little bag of jalapenos and told myself I was going to make poppers. I kind of looked outside of the traditional popper box and decided I was just going to bake them. I made a cream cheese out of soaked slivered almonds and added a little daiya jalapeno Havarti that I shredded.
Here is my first jalapeno popper in ten years! Isn't she pretty? They aren't perfect, I have to tinker with my cream cheese recipe but they still turned out pretty all right for my first attempt. I've been in a bit of a rut in the kitchen so it felt good to experiment with something new.
Here is my whole dinner from last night. I made a cheese-y chili mac kind of thing. It's basically green chili mac and cheese with lots of mayacoba beans, This was a really tasty meal. And I felt like I really treated myself by having an appetizer!
This is the desk that I planned on using for blogging. In my mind the extra room would be the cat play room and my blogging room. Well, now that spring has sprung right into summer and the windows are open, my blogging desk has become cat nap station. The shirt in the back has been there for months as a nap place, and I moved their beloved laptop bag from the living room floor to the table for extra comfort. They can lay on the table while keeping an eye on the birds and squirrels, and jump to the windowsill very easily so I see their logic!




8 comments:

  1. Those jalapeno poppers are impressive! I know there are plenty of recipes for baking them out there. Trader joe’s has tofutti which is definitely the best cream cheese i’ve had, somehow the nut based ones never get the same silky texture.
    Great idea adding the beans to your chili mac!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the one problem with my version. The almond cream cheese tasted great but wasn't super creamy like cream cheese. I definitely plan on making a version with store bought, and I also want to experiment with my own tofu cream cheese too.

      Delete
    2. Maybe a mix of tofu and cashews would work....? I guess when i want cream cheese just nothing will make me happy except tofutti! Haha. Doesn’t happen often, usually when i want a proper bagel and the bagel shops all have it here.
      (Interesting fact, tofutti is commonly available in the bagel shops because if you keep kosher you can’t have meat/fish/poultry and dairy in the same meal, so the kosher clients could have tofutti on the same sandwich as the omni protein)
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  2. These are some incredible experiments! The poppers look seriously incredible and the mac looks delicious as well! Definitely a perfect comfort meal. Too funny about the cats claiming your blogging station! They are too adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peppers were surprisingly tasty for my first attempt! I'll keep trying till I reach perfection!
      They have completely taken over and I love it! I'm lucky they let me live here!

      Delete
  3. That is a fun food experiment!
    I love that the cats have taken over the table. They are so pushy, but so cute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a jalapeno popper, but yours look great, and your dinner looks so good, too! Sweet kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to go through my one old school vegan cookbook and they have some jalepeno poppers (or something like it) in it. I wanna make them, but I will save it for the summer when I get jalepenos from my CSA. Yours look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete