Friday, December 1, 2017

Super Simple Green Chili Almond Cheese Sauce

I had the day off yesterday and needless to say the day flew by and I can't believe it's back to work today. I had a pretty mellow day of cleaning, cooking and resting. Along with some yoga for back pain. The back is still pretty ache-y.
I had some potato wedges seasoned with this onion grill seasoning blend that is vegan even though the jar says it's for steaks. Gross. I dipped my wedges in carrot sriracha hummus from Lantana. It's so good you guys. I also had a green smoothie before the fries but forgot to take a picture. I haven't been sleeping well and was in a bit of a fog. But I am still getting in my greens!
Since I still have some of the So Delicious shreds in my freezer I wanted to make mac and cheese. I decided to make an almond cheese sauce for a change from my usual coconut milk sauce. I soaked some raw slivered almonds during the day while I cleaned. I ended up making a green chili mac and cheese and it turned out AMAZING! It was so simple I feel silly posting the recipe but it was so good!!
UUUGH Such a terrible picture! I made this after dark and I just have the worst lighting! Anyway it was so creamy and mildly spicy I really loved it. And raw slivered almonds are a lot cheaper than cashews!

                                                             Green Chili Macaroni and Cheese
  • 3/4 C. Raw Slivered Almonds
  • 1/2 to 3/4 C. Water
  • 1/2 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/4 Tsp. Pepper
  • 1/4 Tsp. Turmeric
  • 5 T. Nutritional Yeast
  • 1 4 oz. Can of diced green chilis
  • Optional 1/2 Cup Vegan Shreds
  • 8 to 10 Ounces pasta of choice
Soak your almonds for at least two hours. Drain them and add them to your blender with the salt, pepper, turmeric and nutritional yeast. Add 1/2 cup water and blend until smooth and creamy. You might need to add more water. I used a little more than 1/2 cup, but not quite 3/4.
Once your cheese sauce is nice and creamy transfer it to a bowl and stir in the green chilis.  Start cooking your pasta, and while it's boiling take out 1/2 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Once the pasta is cooked drain, and turn the heat on med. low. Add the cheese sauce and stir, along with the reserved pasta water. Don't worry, it might look watery but it will come together. You need that extra liquid. Once it's come together and is simmering, add the vegan shreds if using. Turn off the heat, stir, cover and let sit for about five minutes so the cheese melts and becomes one with the sauce. If you have green dragon sauce I recommend using a heavy hand when drizzling.
Happy Friday!

9 comments:

  1. Okay, I must totally agree about the picture. It looks like a bit like a bowl of zombie food. BUT THAT RECIPE SOUNDS AMAZING! When I saw your haul the other day I was going to ask what the almonds were for. I've still yet to make cheese from slivered almonds but after seeing this simple recipe, I think it's high time I did.

    BTW - the chiles...do you just use one of those little mini-cans from Ortega or Old El Paso or whomever? I always have those on hand, so let's hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're going to try it despite my horrid picture! It's soooooo good! I feel like slivered almonds make as creamy of a sauce as cashews and are much cheaper.
      Yes, the green chilis that come in the little 4 oz. cans. If you can let the sauce sit with the green chilis in it for awhile before you serve it's even better!

      Delete
  2. Almond cheese sauce sounds great! I normally always make cashew based, though I have used almonds for some other sauces. Nuts are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nuts are great! I really love using cashews, I just started experimenting with slivered raw almonds because they're cheaper.

      Delete
  3. Yum, that mac n cheese looks amazing!! And you definitely make the most beautiful potato wedges! I hope your back feels better soon! Have you tried a heating pad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I really should try a heating pad. I have been trying to do lots of yoga for back pain and taking hot Epsom baths.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an awesome mac & cheese; I don't think I've ever cooked with green chilis before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! You should try them, they're really mild. They just have a really nice flavor with a little bit of a kick. They tasted really good in a creamy sauce!

      Delete
  5. YUM! Almond Cheese Sauce! Yes, please!!!!

    ReplyDelete