Tuesday, December 5, 2017

You Say Potato, I Say Delicious

Hibiscus tea, cashewgurts,Almond Dream ice cream,big booch,small La Croix, Lundburg pilaf and yellow rice(clearance woot) cherry fruit bar
Here is my haul from Natural Grocers on Sunday. Notice there is no Trader Joe's haul. Usually I hit both places on the same day but I walked in and out of Trader Joe's without buying anything. I don't think I've ever shopped at Trader Joe's on a Sunday, and now I understand why. It was like all of SLC was crammed into Trader Joe's. Anyway I need groceries and I don't want to buy them at work, so I'm going to attempt Trader Joe's again today. I know it will still be crazy, but hopefully less so on a Tuesday. Back to my little haul here, if you live near a Natural Grocers they have Forager project cashewgurt on sale!! Also the Almond Dream ice cream is on sale for under three dollars a pint! It feels so retro to have a Dream ice cream in my freezer!
Yesterday for breakfast/lunch I roasted some potato chunks seasoned with nooch, garlic powder and smoked paprika. I put them in the bottom of my bowl and topped them with salsa, avocado and of course green dragon sauce. Potato taco bowls should definitely be a thing, this was really delicious.
I still have some Russet potatoes from my ten pound bag I had gotten on sale, and I also found red skinned potatoes on sale for $.49 a pound so of course I had to get a few pounds. So my apartment is flush with potatoes which made the decision to have an all potato day even easier. I made lemon garlic Rosemary potatoes for dinner. I just slow roasted red skinned potatoes in a casserole dish with some veggie stock, lots of garlic, lemon juice and fresh Rosemary. I let these roast while I took a super hot Epsom/ginger bath. Epsom for my poor hurt back and ginger to help detox and keep me from catching all the sicks from coworkers and customers and just people in general. When I was done with my bath my apartment smelled like I was in garlic Heaven!
I don't really use veg stock or broth very often because those cartons stress me out. Rarely do you use a whole carton, and then I feel this pressure to hurry up and find a use for the rest of the stock. But I found a carton of organic salt free veg stock on sale for $.75 a carton because the box was a little damaged and I couldn't resist the sale. So these potatoes look super dark because the stock has tomatoes in it and is pretty dark. Plus the horrible lighting doesn't help. But these were so so good! I really like the flavor and texture you get from roasting potatoes in stock for a long time. They really soak up the broth and are just so succulent.
Yesterday Joan was cuddling on my lap, and when I went to get a little picture of her feet, she popped her nose into the picture! Nose and Toes!



8 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried freezing unused stock in 1 cup portions? That's what I do when I make a big batch of homemade stock (using veggie bits)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a great idea! I'm going to do that with the rest of my stock that I have now!!Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on the veg stock and broths! I rarely use them. I usually opt for water instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, so cute! Love the pic. I love when my cats sit that way, so dainty and polite! Have you tried a heating pad for your back? I have severe back problems and that helps sometimes. I need to have a potato day. I'm so jealous of your Natural Grocer store and the clearance. All I ever find is vitamins and very pricey pet food. But glad you can find good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potato taco bowls are such a fun idea, and your slow roasted potatoes sound amazing! Love the picture of Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of Joan is so cute!! Potato bowls sound amazing, I definitely need to try that. Lemon rosemary potatoes are a favorite and I can't wait until I can have lemon again so I can make them. I suppose I can just deal with rosemary potatoes for now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Potato tacos bowls should totally be A Thing! I get lazy and buy a jar of the vegan Better than Bullion base when it's on sale, a tiny bit makes a lot of delicious broth and the jar is good in the fridge for maybe ever. I love a huge bottle of kombucha :)) as always your good kharma pays off at clearance sale finds, very exciting!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  7. I normally use stock powder rather than buying it in cartons, because I also don't often need to use too much of it and I have limited freezer space at the moment.

    Potato taco bowls sound like a dream.

    ReplyDelete