Friday, December 8, 2017

Friday Goodies

I've been experimenting with different gluten free brownie mixes for awhile now. Back in October I read about using coconut milk as an egg and oil replacer in boxed cake and brownie mixes. It works really, really well. Gluten Free Heaven is actually a somewhat local company. They are located in Pleasant Grove Utah, which is about thirty miles away from SLC. They have several cupcake and cake mixes plus this brownie mix. I like that they use minimal packaging. Always a big plus!
Unlike other mixes I've used these got the crinkly top like a good brownie should have. I would never guess these are gluten free. I think the coconut milk is super helpful with gluten free baked goods. I think the extra fattiness battles the dryness and totally wins! So far when it comes to baking I've tried both bananas and apple sauce as oil replacers, and now coconut milk and coconut milk wins hands down. And I don't know how available this mix is outside of Utah, but here is their website if you'd like to check them out. I will definitely be trying out more mixes!
This looks like a mess but it was a delicious mess. I really should have written down the recipe because it was amazing! I made a super easy tomatillo sauce by just blending some tomatillo with half a jalapeno, a clove of garlic and a little water. And salt and pepper of course. Then I made an almond cream sauce and layered corn tortillas with cilantro lime rice, white beans, both sauces and a little vegan cheese. I topped it with green onions and green dragon sauce. So, so good. Enchilada casserole is definitely one of my favorites. And I always forget how much I love tomatillo sauce!
Here is a live action shot of Kanye and Afro lazily play fighting with each other. Right after this picture was taken Brutus kind of came out and Kanye fled the scene!





11 comments:

  1. Glad to hear about your brownie success! Your enchilada casserole sounds like a fun, creative meal! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brownies were so good! I will definitely be trying more flavors of that mix!

      Delete
  2. Brownies are exciting!!
    That tomatillo sauce sounds really fabulous- i love how tart and tangy tomatillos are. I had a posole verde a while back that i can't stop thinking about with a tomatillo and roasted poblano broth that i can't stop thinking about. This enchilada casserole dish you made sounds delicious!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brownies turned out so great! I can't wait to make
      them again!
      I hadn't used tomatillos in awhile and I forgot how much I love them!

      Delete
  3. I loved hearing about your brownie adventures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha I plan on having a lot more brownie adventures!

      Delete
  4. Yummy! Brownies and enchilada casserole both look yummy, I need to try the casserole soon. Kitties are so cute! How's the weather there? It's cold here and our heater went out. Brr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been pretty dang cold. Thirties during the day and twenties at night. I feel so bad for the feral kitties. I wish I could get them to come inside.

      Delete
  5. That is great that the coconut milk works so well. So you don't add anything else? Just the coconut milk?
    The casserole sounds really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, just the coconut milk. No egg replacer or oil. It's pretty nifty. I know it wouldn't work for you though. But it's a really great way to skip the oil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard that about coconut milk! That's so cool

    ReplyDelete