Friday, December 29, 2017

One Vegan at a Time!

I was so impressed with the lemongrass tamarind sauce I decided to try this Szechuan style peanut sauce.  When I got home from work I just sliced up some extra firm tofu and baked it with some of this sauce. I used the Trader Joe's extra firm tofu that is vacuum sealed, not the tofu that's packed in water. I love it because it needs no pressing so you can make a spontaneous decision to have tofu. It's definitely worth the extra fifty cents!
 The sauce is garlic-y and it definitely has a kick. It also has that super silky texture that my homemade peanut sauce never has. It would be great as a dip for spring rolls too!

I just learned that one of my coworkers has now gone one whole month with no animal products! He's a bagger at work an I'm always telling him he should be a politician because he has that way with people. But he should be a good politician, not a swarmy one. Anyway, he's interested in Buddhism, and believes in practicing non violence. And thankfully he has made the connection to practice non violence with all sentient beings. When we first started talking veganism, he was leaning towards going pescatarian, which is a start. But I brought him some gardein fishless filets and also the crab-less cakes to try. He loved them both. I'm really happy and so proud of him for making that connection and commitment. An I'm so happy that there are so many delicious vegan foods out there. And this is a win of course for the animals! And it might even be a chain reaction, he could share food with friends and make them consider some kinder versions of their favorite foods. You know how most of the time when you see teenagers, especially in groups you want to do anything to avoid them? Well, this kid proves that not all teenagers are to be feared. I just am so happy and proud!
Do I need to even say anything? Kanye is one of the shyest of my girls, but funnily enough when she sees the camera she turns into a supermodel!



19 comments:

  1. I love a good spicy peanut sauce! Yum!! Lemongrass is one of my least favorite flavors - I wish I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a spicy peanut sauce too. I'm so sorry I wish you liked lemongrass too!

      Delete
  2. So awesome about your co worker!! One person at a time. We can change the world for our beloved animals. Kanye is so cute, makes me want to just rub that kitty tummy, lol. That peanut sauce sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for the animals too!
      Kanye is definitely cute and she definitely knows it!! I always have to get her belly!

      Delete
  3. Your dinner using the peanut sauce looks delicious, and that's so great to hear about your co-worker!
    Kanye's belly! Too cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh that peanut sauce sounds so good! That is amazing about your coworker! It's great to hear about new vegans, especially ones that are charming and are good with people. Kanye is too cute! Love the belly!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited about my coworker!! I can never get enough of Kanye's belly!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. She seriously does. She turns extra cute when she sees I'm taking pictures.

      Delete
  6. Oh! Another nifty sauce you found! NICE!!! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great story about the co-worker!!
    Kanye is so funny, what a fluffy belleh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a great story! Kanye is really super cute!

      Delete
  8. Awesome news about your co-worker!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!! I love anything peanut sauce- i often make a quick version from creamy pb, soy sauce, lime juice and a splash of nondairy milk that i heat and whisk together. That high protein tofu is my favorite! It's so much more firm and uniform in texture than when i press my own tofu, i get a few at a time since i can't get to trader joes every week.
    I bet that peanut sauce would be awesome on sweet potatoes!
    Love that news about your coworker!! That is really something to be proud of having such a positive influence and sharing your enthusiasm for veganism with others.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always bought the regular tofu to save the fifty cents, but after using the high protein tofu I can't go back! It is just so easy to use and I love the texture!
      I am so elated to have actually witnessed someone make the choice to go vegan. It's a really great feeling!

      Delete
    2. And you didn’t even try to talk me into it. Which I’ve learned because you want the best for people. What’s really helped me is I’ve changed my friend group. I’m trying to keep that positive vibes and reflect off the haters.

      Delete