Monday, December 18, 2017

A Grinch-y Bonus

Green onions, bananas, rice noodles, gluten free spaghetti,grapefruit,lemon, dish sponge,avocado,peanut butter,tofu, frozen cherries
The above picture is my holiday bonus from my job. We all received a twenty five dollar gift card to the store we work at!! I don't mean to sound like an ingrate because my budget is actually super tight this week so this definitely helped, but COME ON!! We basically didn't get a bonus because this cost them nothing. This is one of the many reasons I try my best to not spend money at work. After this bonus I've decided to be even firmer with myself. It's easy to talk myself out of trudging to the store in the cold when I know I can just get something at work. But that needs to stop because WOW. I just realized I also got a box of Dr. Praegers Bombay burgers that didn't make it in the picture. So the picture plus some veggie burgers is my holiday bonus. Sad but at the same time kind of hilarious.

Yesterday for lunch before work I made some lentil soup. I had to walk to work so I definitely needed soup to get me ready. I used red and green lentils. I love using red lentils because they cook way down and just kind of make the soup creamy without any kind of plant cream or milk. I used lots of turmeric in this batch because my back still hasn't healed from pumpkin season. That's also why I got the frozen cherries to add to my smoothies. I've read that cherries are also anti-inflammatory and I need all the help I can get.
This was my lazy dinner last night. Seasoned curly fries and a Dr. Praegers's veggie burger. I forget the brand of fries these are but I won't be buying them again. Frozen fries of course are deep fried and have more oil than my homemade fries, but these were the oiliest fries I've ever seen. The parchment paper had pools of oil on it after I made them. I'm not afraid of oil, but I don't like excessive oil either.
These silly girls! Always making me laugh and feel loved even when I have the very worst of days. I'm so lucky to be their human!


11 comments:

  1. yikes! only $25?! I mean I could understand if they gave a much larger gift card at the very least! I'm sorry your company is so crummy.

    Much agreed- oil isn't bad, but nothing is ickier than that greasy-oily feeling. It's just too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry too.
      The greasy feeling is too much and I had that icky feeling after eating them which is such a waste of fries!!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, well $25 is better than nothing! (I have never gotten anything as a holiday bonus from a company i worked for) but yeah i totally get that's also really lame it wasn't for more. Or better yet 25% off any groceries you buy there all the time.
    Lentil soup really is awesome as a sturdy filling meal-not to mention packed with a lot of nutrition to keep you going a while. How lame those curly fries were such a mess. I'm with you that i don't mind oil unless it's just too much (which also makes my tummy mad).
    Is that pb good? I haven't seen their no stir version before, i bought adams original creamy for years but got distracted by other nut butters and easy access to the grind your own pb machine.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather have a discount than a holiday bonus to be honest! Not offering employees a bonus is one of the main reasons I try not to spend too much money at my job!
      My tummy definitely doesn't like too much oil either.
      I love the Adams no stir. It is my all time favorite peanut butter.

      Delete
  3. Oily fries are gross. No good!
    We get gift cards for our Christmas bonus at work, more than $25. Not for the clinic though, that would be weird. They are valid at a number of stores, so we can choose where we go and what to spend them on. I suspect they get these cards through points from our suppliers, so I am not sure that it is costing them anything, but at least I can spend it on something I want from a place I want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oily fries are definitely not good! I would have loved a gift card for anywhere else! It wasn't really the dollar amount as much as it being to our store that got me.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, that's a real shame that that's all your holiday bonus was, especially considering how you're still feeling the effects from lifting all those pumpkins! Your lentil soup sounds great, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm starting to wonder if my back will ever feel normal again!
      The lentil soup was great. It had been way too long since I had lentil soup!

      Delete
  5. That really stinks. I'm sorry that it was a disappointing bonus but I guess at least it is something and it helped with your budget for the week. That is so disappointing about the excessive oil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did help out so I really shouldn't be griping. But it still was pretty lame. especially for people who have been there for a long time!
      Oil is fine, but excessive oil is not okay!

      Delete
  6. Gosh! I really want some of that Lentil Soup right now!

    ReplyDelete