Saturday, December 27, 2014

Mushrooms really are Magic!!

So I made a sandwich last week that was so delicious that I was dancing and singing all around my apartment after eating it. It's funny how something so simple as a sandwich can really satisfy you. I love always having some kind of crusty bread on hand, so when salads get boring, put it on some bread, and bam a veggie delight, minus any shady, possibly cancerous ingredients.
But back to my happy sandwich. I bought a few Portobello mushrooms, marinated them in red wine vinegar, olive oil,(evoo in Rachel Ray speak) and salt, pepper, Italian seasonings. I let them marinate for a couple of hours, and then baked them for about twenty, or twenty five minutes. The temp was around the 350 mark. While they were roasting away, I made a little relish of chopped olives, and banana peppers. I toasted a baguette, smeared on some Just Mayo, put lots of my spicy relish, and then added the thinly sliced, delicious mushrooms. It was perfection. It was creamy, crunchy, meaty(?!) spicy, vinegary, and a little salty, in the good olivey kind of way. And it couldn't have been easier. I really recommend trying this combo.
If your local grocery has a bulk olive section, I recommend taking advantage of it. I get a little assortment of fancy olives and spend under two dollars. And since the olives haven't been sitting around in a can for who knows how long, they have much more flavor. And that means it doesn't take much to make an impact. My favorites are the big Kalamata olives, and the green olives with crushed red pepper. Yum.
I think mushrooms are a really good food to eat, especially in the winter, as they have lots of vitamin D, which most of us don't get enough of in the winter. I try to remember to eat mushrooms at least once a week. And they are so much tastier than yucky old cow juice.
Still no sign of Robin. But I am now hoping for a New Years miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment