Friday, December 19, 2014

Ginger& Spice Made Everything Nice.

I woke up Tuesday morning with a bit of a sore throat, and I chalked it up to slurping my tea when it is too hot. On Wednesday morning, I felt like I was in the beginning stages of some kind of cootie. My throat still burned, and I felt weak, tired, and slightly feverish. I was very blessed to have the day off, so I went into full on defensive linebacker mode, and I am very pleased to report that I came out victorious, I woke up Thursday feeling almost myself, and today even better.
Here is what I did. First, I cleaned my apartment, because clean. Then I did 15 minutes of low impact cardio to get a little sweat going, followed by 10 minutes of power yoga. This was very hard to force myself to do, but I think it helped, a lot. I followed this up with an extra strong ginger detox bath. I usually use maybe one or two tablespoons of  powdered ginger, along with miracle sea salt, or Epsom salt. This time, I used at least 1/4 cup of powdered ginger, and a few shakes of baking soda. I made the water as hot as I could handle, and sat in it for almost a half hour. Man I was sweating, and my head was pounding. It was rough, but so worth it. After my bath, I realized that I still hadn't eaten anything, but I wasn't hungry at all, so I made a juice with ginger, five oranges, and two carrots. Delicious. I decided to really od on vitamins, so as soon as I drank my orange juice, I made a green juice with kale, ginger, cucumber, pear, and celery.
I knew I had to eventually eat something, so I made some chickpea noodle soup. I made my soup with onion, tons of garlic, Serrano pepper, celery, carrot, parsley, kale and chickpeas. Noodles added at the end. It was spicy, and very comforting and soothing. I felt like I had a sweet little grandmother taking care of me! I ate soup early, and went to sleep way earlier than usual.
On Thursday morning, I woke up feeling almost myself! I couldn't believe it. I had leftover chickpea noodle soup, more orange and green juice, and a super spicy, lemongrass tofu for dinner, and like I said today I feel almost all better. Knock on wood, I really think I kicked the ass of whatever was trying to invade my body. I cannot recommend ginger baths enough. I have been doing the ginger bath thang for almost a year now, and I feel it has improved my health greatly. And I know that this bath was an important part in my recovering so quickly. I also think that not having an appetite might have worked in my favor, as I worked up a sweat with cleaning, followed by working out, followed by steam bath. I feel like I sweated out a lot of crud, and then flooded myself with vitamins, in a very easy to digest sort of way. And then the spicy, veg heavy soup was the perfect thing to eat.
I've decided that miso, chili peppers, and tons of lemon water, and citrus juice will be on a regular rotation for the rest of winter. As I've mentioned I take public transportation, and work with the public, so there is zero chance that I won't be exposed to a plethora of different hybrids of cooties, so I will be having a very defensive winter.
I really recommend the ginger bath. It is so worth it, and the benefits are in the double digits. And I've learned that it's really soul soothing to take care of yourself, and love yourself. And in my opinion, a ginger bath beats Nyquil any day of the year. And thanks, Almost a Vegan for the tip about chili peppers. I truly believe that ginger, spice, and a healthy overdose of vitamins all worked together(the Avengers).

No comments:

Post a Comment