Sunday, June 2, 2019

365 Vegan Cheddar Shreds!

Yesterday I went to Petco, and there is a small Whole Foods in the same plaza so I popped in to see what was new and interesting. This is the smallest Whole Foods I've ever seen, so they don't have a huge selection, but I did find some new vegan cheese and a new to me booch!
Apparently they make cheese slices too, but the small store only had the shreds, cheddar and mozzarella style. They also make deli slices similar to Tofurky. I really wanted to try them, I used to LOVE the Tofurky deli slices, but alas they are all full of gluten!!! The cheese was $3.99 and the deli slices were around that price too. It is a bit cheaper than other brands so that's nice.
I was making dinner for a non vegan friend last night, so I decided to make some vegan mac and cheese to test out the new shreds. My friend grew up eating hot dogs in mac and cheese which seems so WEIRD but I know a lot of people do it. So, I made some mac and cheese with smart dogs!
What an ugly picture! I've had a really terrible, horrible,no good, very bad couple of days and I was hangry so here we are.
When I opened the bag of the shreds I was pretty shocked by the smell. It smelled really similar to dairy cheddar. I had to double check and make sure I got the right cheese! It melted nicely in the mac and cheese and had a nice subtle flavor. I would definitely buy this again. Honestly it's only a little more than Trader Joe's vegan shreds and it's much, much better. It kind of reminds me of Violife cheddar. I definitely recommend!
Joan and Etta sitting but to but bird and squirrel watching! The tree in front of my living room window is a hub of bird and squirrel activity and they can't get enough!




4 comments:

  1. I usually use Daiya, but I'll definitely have to look out for the Whole Foods brand if I find myself in one soon. I know a lot of people don't like Daiya but I think their cheddar is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like daiya too. It's usually the least expensive so I always choose it! This is around the same price, maybe a little less so that's exciting!
      I love the daiya blocks, they're even good cold!

      Delete
  2. It's so great to see so many different options popping up. We have heaps appearing in our stores, though most of them are mostly coconut oil and no good for me. But good for everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for more vegan cheese, and sounds like a great dinner!

    ReplyDelete