Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Lemongrass Tofu

I found this new to spice rub the other day and couldn't resist the sweet lemongrass packet!
They have three flavors of the spice rub, lemongrass, five spice and garlic something. All three are vegan, and have very nice and normal ingredients, no weird mystery words. Each packet is $1.99. As a bonus, the company is owned by women!!!
So much green, I love it!
The package says to mix the rub with some oil and then mix that with the tofu. I just cubed some tofu, stirred in a little tamari and then sprinkled in a little of the rub. I only used about a tablespoon or so. I'll probably get two or three uses out of the packet. It also suggests grilling which I don't do so I just baked my tofu. I had it in a rice bowl with some veggies and peanut sauce. I want to get some fresh chilis and lemongrass and make a little marinade with the rub. It's good, but it needs a little fresh something.
I saw these on the clearance shelf at Smith's and I am totally weirded out! They're mechanical companion animals for seniors? I guess seniors who don't like actual animals? Am I wrong for thinking this is a little weird? I mean, they're on clearance so that tells me they weren't flying off the shelves!

Sorry it's so dark, but I had to post this hilarious picture of Joan! She's taken to napping in one of the cubbies! I guess she figures no one can try and force a cuddle on her in there!!




7 comments:

  1. The rub sounds so good. I bet the garlic one is seriously delicious. Joan is too cute!

    I think they are probably meant for seniors that can't care for animals? To be fair, I'd rather see a senior go for the mechanical animal if they can't fully care for an actual animal for the good of the animal. I bet it also has to do with what will happen to the animal if the senior should pass. I totally get it but of course an actual animal is always the best and most comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. But then I wonder, if you don't care for animals why would you want a mechanical one, just so many questions!!

      Delete
  2. Omg those mechanical animals are creepy! And that tofu bowl looks delicious. I had that company's brown rice ramen cups over the weekend when I was at Bonnaroo, and they're good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always see their noodle cups! I need to try one sometime.
      The mechanical animals definitely weirded me out!!

      Delete
  3. I assume the mechanical animals are for those who can't look after an real live animal. I just went down a wormhole of looking them up on the internet, and they made the point of also no vet bills to worry about. Though I challenge them that they 'look just like a real cat'!

    The tofu rubs sounds awesome, though I would have had to get the five spice one, can't say no to five spice!

    Joan is very smart and looks very snug there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither one looked anything like a real animal!! I'm sure they help some people but yowzers!!
      I want to try the five spice next. I just couldn't not get the lemongrass first!!
      Joan is very, very smart! And she's very clever when it comes to finding places for some alone time!

      Delete
  4. So late to the comment game! Yes, those mechanical pets are weird, but they are made for two types of seniors. 1) Seniors that are in a community housing where you can not have pets and 2) Seniors who are too ill to take care of a pet themselves. Apparently a lot of the stress reducing benefits to pet still happen with these mechanical ones. They made fun of them on the show Masters of None

    ReplyDelete