Monday, June 17, 2019

Just Another Random Monday

A couple of nights ago I made my first recipe from 1,000 Vegan Recipes. I made the Thai coconut soup. It's very simple, and I actually thought it might be a little bland or boring, but it was the opposite. It was full of flavor and exciting!
It's just onion and ginger simmered in veg stock or water( I used water), soy sauce and some chili paste. It also has coconut milk and tofu. It's super simple. I added some rice noodles to make it a bit more hefty. This really was full of flavor and it took under fifteen minutes to make. I will definitely make again!!
I saw this at Smith's the other day. It's rice made with red lentil and I think chickpea flour. It's basically bean pasta in rice form. No thank you! Like bean pasta, the bag is half the size and triple the price. Knowing how just uugh and dense bean pasta is, I can't imagine this being anything like fluffy rice!!
I've been loving the cactus fruit I picked up the other day! Look at that gorgeous color! The texture is kind of like a cross between watermelon and jicima. It does have seeds which are edible. It tastes melon adjacent, very refreshing!
Celery, romaine, pineapple and cucumber juice

Last night I tried my own version of Bianca's version of a dish from a restaurant. The dish is called The OG Bowl from a restaurant called The Wild Cow. I've seen it on her blog a few times over the years and it looks so simple and delicious. It's brown rice, garlicky kale, pinto beans, tofu and a garlic aioli. I don't remember where I bought my pinto beans, but I was sold some old ones because I soaked my dried beans for over twelve hours, and even after cooking for two hours they were still hard. So my version is brown rice, super garlicky kale, tofu and a garlic tahini sauce. This was everything I've always wanted it to be. Healthy comfort food!



8 comments:

  1. Oooh everything looks delicious. I'm especially loving that coconut soup, it looks incredible. The cactus fruit really is a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel healthy when I eat brightly colored fruits and veg. I guess I feel like I'm eating the rainbow or something ha!

      Delete
  2. That bowl looks so good! I need to make a version of that as well.
    Bean rice? No thank you. I can only imagine how dense and gluggy that would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think, I can't imagine it resembling rice in any way, shape or form.

      Delete
  3. I am definitely into anything with garlic tahini sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking as I was eating this that garlic tahini sauce makes everything better!!

      Delete
  4. I had a fellow blogger/instagramer try the bean rice and she didn't really like it. I mean I think she did, but was disappointed that it was nothing like rice. You know what I mean? But seriously we need to stop obsessing over the whole protein thing in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soup looks great, and the cactus fruit sounds so interesting -- I love your description of "melon adjacent" haha!

    ReplyDelete