Monday, June 3, 2019

Mortal Kombucha and Bamboo Rice!

I picked up this new to me kombucha at Whole Foods the other day. I've never heard of this brand and to me trying new kombucha can be scary like trying new vegan yogurts. They're both pricey and can be super disappointing! Luckily for me this was not the case. This booch was delicious, no floaties and it was not too dry and not too sweet. This was a minty watermelon flavor and I could taste both mint and watermelon. I would definitely buy this again!
I was in the bulk section of Winco last week and I noticed that they have bamboo rice. I always read about fancy rice like bamboo or forbidden, but I never buy them because they're always triple the cost of regular rice. And even in bulk it's way more expensive of course, but I just got a small amount to try. That's one of the many, many reasons I love bulk bins!
Bamboo rice is infused with bamboo juice which is why it's green. I did some reading up on it, and somewhere along the way I read that it pairs well with curries. I never need a reason to make curry!
I made a peanut butter, green lentil and tofu curry and had it over the bamboo rice. The bamboo rice is a short grain rice, and it's kind of sticky like sushi rice. It was pretty good, but honestly I prefer Jasmine rice because it isn't sticky. But it was kind of fun to have some light green rice with the golden curry. I think I might use it the next time I make sushi. I'll be so fancy!





5 comments:

  1. The rice sounds so interesting! I love sticky rice so that is right up my alley! I need to get some kombucha, I just finished a round of antibiotics and really need a solid dose of probiotics back in my system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know the juice made them green! I love trying new rices, but same as you with the price lol I remember black rice not being too much more. I love making a cold black rice salad with kimchi and asian pears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of it, I think I have a recipe for it in one of my books, but I have never used bamboo rice. It sounds fun! I really like that sticky Japanese-style short grain rice, so I would probably love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. I totally thought that said Mortal Kombat at first. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of bamboo rice until now! That's great that you were able to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete