Saturday, June 22, 2019

Back in the Kitchen

I had the day off yesterday so I spent some time in the kitchen which felt really nice, and I walked around the lake at Liberty Park. It was only maybe sixty five degrees yesterday which is so strange for mid June in SLC! I wore jeans and a hoodie for my walk which is insane.
I started my day with this chia and hemp seed pudding. I used unsweetened vanilla coconut milk and some frozen blueberries. I ate a lot of this during my vegan keto experiment and I enjoyed it. I've noticed when I eat chia, flax seed or walnuts I feel a little lift in my depression so lately I've been trying to get at least one of the three in a day.
I made this peanut hummus. I wanted to share the recipe, but I need to perfect it. I used the usual suspects found in peanut sauce, tamari, sesame oil, peanut butter, lime juice and chili paste. I used a mixture of tahini and peanut sauce, and I think I need to make it again with all peanut butter. It's still really tasty and I don't mind eating the results of my experiment!
I also tried making the mysterious sesame cheese!!! I used this recipe. It tastes great, but I have to work on texture. I didn't gring the sesame seeds enough so it's a not as smooth as I would want. It still tastes great and I'm going to eat it. I have lots of agar agar left so I will keep trying! Sesame seeds are a lot cheaper than nuts so this could be a very economical cheese to have around.
A quiet walk around a lake and some vitamin D to cure the blues!

I had some mushrooms in my fridge that I needed to use. I bought them for a meal that I didn't want anymore! This is why I don't meal plan, as soon as I plan it I don't want it! So I just made a mushroom and tofu stir fry and it turned out delish! I used ginger and garlic, and then made a little stir fry sauce with tamari, sesame oil and crushed red pepper. I don't make stir fry very often and I see now that I should add it in the rotation!






6 comments:

  1. The lake looks beautiful! I'm sure taking the walk and the vitamin D will help, as will the omegas from the nuts and seeds you're enjoying. The kitchen experiments look and sound great, I'm so curious about the sesame cheese and peanut hummus sounds delicious. The stir fry looks amazing, stir fries are such a perfect, quick, satisfying meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely been trying to get at least ten minutes of sun a day for my mental health. Some days I really feel a difference, other days it's harder.
      I totally forgot how easy and delicious stir fries really are!!

      Delete
  2. The sesame cheese sounds like a fun experiment! Looks like a lovely place for a nice summer walk, and your stir fry meal looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun making the cheese. I want to make more now that I have agar powder!!

      Delete
  3. Oh, yay, sesame cheese! I am making a mental note to try this recipe at some point, for comparison sake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when a cool day sneaks in before you're too far into summer!

    ReplyDelete