Monday, July 30, 2018

A Few Things I Love

I've been making iced tea all summer with green tea and this hibiscus tea from Trader Joe's. Hibiscus tea straight can be a little too floral-y for my taste, and this blend has lemongrass and mint which really helps balance it out. Hibiscus tea is really good for you and one of the many benefits is cooling the body quickly. I usually chug a big glass when I get home after doing a lot of walking in the sun. It's a pretty decent price at Trader Joe's too.
I love the root beer so much I got the cola too. I have to take advantage of the sale while I can! I'm sure it's going to be a lot more when it's off sale. I wanted to get the Dr.Pepper version but I am clearly not alone in my Dr, Pepper love as that's the only flavor that sold out. Isabetta this is for you since you said you're a huge cola fan!
I haven't had chocolate in a very long time because in the summer I like citrus-y sour popsicles. But it is that time of the month where my body is demanding chocolate. I really love this coconut dark chocolate bar from simple truth organic which is Kroger/Smiths/Fred Meyer organic store brand. It's organic, fair trade and gluten free, And the best news is it's either $2.50 or $2.99 a bar which is of course still not cheap but it's a lot less than other organic, vegan fair trade chocolates. Because this is made with coconut milk it's a bit smoother and creamier, more like a milk chocolate which was always my preference. I'm going to love having some of this tonight while watching Portlandia on Netflix!
I'm loving lemongrass! I made lemongrass tofu last night and it was excellent! I let the tofu marinate all day so by the time it was cooked it was just packed with flavor. Lemongrass is just so bright and fresh and fragrant.
Usually it's just Joan and Roxy who watch videos for cats on YouTube, but yesterday morning I caught Afro getting in on the action too! Sunday morning cartoons for cats!





16 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I must try that chocolate. I love milky vegan chocolates!!! Also I haven't had that Live soda in a can, but I've had their kombucha soda in bottles (is it the same thing? I love the Doctor flavor!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love milky chocolate too!
      No, this is different than their kombucha. It's actually soda sweetened with monkfruit, but it has probiotics in it too. Best of both worlds. I really love it. It has zero calories or sugar!

      Delete
  2. The cats watching Youtube are so funny! That chocolate sounds delicious, i love any combo of coconut milk and chocolate.
    That iced tea combo sounds delicious! I keep making big batches of iced chai tea and bring with me everywhere in my thermos :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I love watching them watch YouTube!
      The chocolate is so good. It's so smooth and creamy which is what I really love.
      Ooh I love iced chai. I should make some of that soon!

      Delete
    2. In a flash of brilliance I decided to add a few drops of vanilla to my new batch of chai tea- AMAZING. It was maybe 1/4 tsp for the 8cups and i will never not use it again. Highly recommended.
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
    3. I've added vanilla to warm Chai and it's the best! Like a vanilla chai latte!

      Delete
  3. The hibiscus tea sounds lovely and refreshing. I don't think I've had hibiscus other than in a blend. Have I sent you any Waitrose Indian coconut chocolate? It sounds similar to the one you describe and is one of my favourites x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good. In my opinion hibiscus should always be in a blend!
      You've sent me a lot of super delicious chocolate, but I don't think the Waitrose Indian coconut chocolate sounds familiar. But I know I've enjoyed other waitrose chocolates!

      Delete
  4. Oooh what a great list of favorite things! I really hope I can find those sodas! Soda with probiotics? Sign me up! The chocolate sounds amazing and your tofu dish looks perfect. And you know I love some kitties :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think about the soda, it's sugar free and has probiotics!!! And it's so good! I hope you can find them too. Maybe that vegan store will start carrying them? Or even Whole Foods?

      Delete
  5. I hope you like the cola.Let us know how it goes.��
    Issabetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the cola better than the root beer! I am really happy they're making this soda!

      Delete
  6. I love lemongrass tofu, it is one of my favourite ways to flavour it!
    Netflix and chocolate sounds like an excellent way to spend an evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it so much too. I remember the first time I had it at this Vietnamese restaurant in Seattle. It was just this amazing flavor that I had never experienced. I didn't even know what a lemongrass was at the time!
      Netflix, chocolate and cats!

      Delete
  7. I find lemongrass expensive, and I know you are usually on a budget, so how do you normally prefer to buy it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some places sell it bunched together, but Sprouts sells it loose so I usually buy one big stalk or a couple smallish stalks for around one dollar and change. That's usually enough for two recipes. I process it in the food processor with a garlic clove to help stretch it out.
      Also the Asian market sells it for super cheap!

      Delete