Saturday, July 21, 2018

No Chick Spicy Sweet Sriracha Sauce

Last week I got a request to try and make Chick Fil A spicy sweet sriracha dipping sauce. I have never in my life been to a Chick Fil A and and to be honest I think SLC is the first city I've lived in that even has one of these restaurants. There is a Chick Fil A downtown that I actually walked by, but it's in a super sketch part of downtown, and I felt severe anxiety about going in and requesting a packet of sauce. Plus the front of the store smells strongly of human piss. So, anonymous I did my best at recreating a sauce I have never heard of or tasted. I looked up the ingredients, read a few reviews and also watched a few taste tests on YouTube. So I did my research. The main flavors people mentioned were spicy, soy sauce and a strong corn syrup flavor.
Here are all the ingredients I used, plus soy sauce which I forgot to put in the photo. I used agave in place of corn syrup because why use corn syrup?

                                                     Spicy Sweet Sriracha Dipping Sauce
  • 4 T. Sweet Chili Sauce
  • 1 Tsp. Chili Garlic Sauce
  • 1 to 1/2 Tsp. Sriracha
  • 1/4 Tsp. Soy Sauce
  • 1 1/4 T. Agave Nectar
Stir all ingredients together. Start with one teaspoon of sriracha and add more to your liking. I added one and a half teaspoons but I love spicy.
Sometime maybe if I'm downtown earlier in the day I might get brave enough to stop in and ask for a sauce packet. I'm sure the employees there hear stranger requests all the time. But this sauce was sweet with a kick and just a little salty. It seems to match descriptions minus the "heavy corn syrup flavor" I'm guessing maybe the real version is a lot sweeter than mine? Anyway, anonymous, I hope this is somewhat close and please let me know if I'm way off base! I hope this helps you on your vegan journey. I am a big believer in sauces and condiments, especially if you're on a budget!
I made some oven fries and tofu nuggets to dip in this sauce. The reviews I watched dipped tots and nuggets in the sauce so I decided to make a healthier fast food type of meal. I seasoned the tofu and potatoes with salt and pepper, garlic powder and lots of nooch. Delicious! Kids have the right idea, foods you eat with your hands and dip are the best!
I washed my sheets, duvet cover and the pink sweater yesterday. Joan got to the sweater first, fresh out of the dryer!
Happy Caturday!





13 comments:

  1. Hi. Thanks for making this sauce. It looks wonderful. If you ever go to Chick Fil A, the employees are very nice and generous with their sauce packets. They always say, it’s my pleasure to serve you and smile, haha! I probably won’t go there anymore. Because, vegan. I do love their sauces! It would be good to sample each sauce packet. I think there are 6. I like the Chick Fil A Sauce, Honey Mustard Sauce & Sriracha Sauce. The Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing is the best dressing ever, so so good! Please try that one if you get a chance!

    I hope you also liked the sauce. I will make it the way you did and let you know if it matches. I don’t have all the ingredients and never heard of agave nectar. I have a lot of vegan things to learn still. Nice bloggers like you are the biggest and kindest help to find my way around this new path I’m on. Thank you for making this! I am always on a budget & learn so much from your blog. I just love it! Thank you! Aspen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sauce is delicious, thanks for teaching me about another sauce! I plan on attempting the Chick fil a special sauce. From what I understand it's a combo of mayo, BBQ and honey mustard. Should be super easy to veganize!

      Delete
    2. Also, you can use sugar instead of agave. It can be pricey in regular grocery stores, it's decently priced at Trader Joe's. Agave is sweeter than sugar, so you might need to use two tablespoons and also whisk enough to dissolve the sugar.

      Delete
  2. *Sorry, please don’t try the Chick Fil A Sauce or the Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing because I just saw they have egg yolk, which I know is not vegan. I guess I will have to be more careful from now on. Because some vegans can be very mean if you make a mistake, & yell at you even when you are trying & don't know everything about being vegan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, reading labels is a must!But after awhile it you'll have to read less labels. I remember when I first went vegan it took me so long to grocery shop because of that! But slip ups happen to everyone because they want to put animal products in EVERYTHING! And the vegan police are absolutely terrifying!! And in my opinion do more harm than good. No one is perfect.

      Delete
    2. I've been vegetarian for 17 years now and have always wanted to be vegan. I've always known how challenging it is and never had any support, so I never gave it a wholehearted, 100% percent effort. I wish there was a place where I could've gone for encouragement and acceptance in my desire to be vegan. Also, I imagine that having an "in between" label for an "aspiring vegan," like me, would have done nothing but encouraged me to be the best aspiring vegan I could be. Whereas, here we are now, and I'm nowhere closer to being vegan than I was 17 years ago when I chose to stop eating animals. Thank you vegan peace for telling it like it is. If I ever do become 100% vegan, I'll never use the vegan label to avoid being chastised by the perfect vegans out there.

      Delete
  3. I've never tried the original sauce, but your version sounds great, especially with the oven fries and tofu nuggets! I love Joan's sweet little face and her grip on the sweater; she looks like she's making sure you aren't planning to take it away again! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get so bothered when I wash it, like it's never coming back! She was definitely kneading some dough!

      Delete
  4. For reasons I don’t understand there are several Chick Fil A locations that have opened in nyc the past few years, they seem to be very popular. I’ve never been- and don’t see that changing.
    Really so awesome of you to try and recreate the recipe :))
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I understand the owner of the chain is super religious an is super against gay marriage and donates to organizations that oppose and fight gay marriage. Plus I don't think they are vegan friendly at all.
      But the sauce was really good!

      Delete
    2. Yeah the chick fil a owners are bigot a$holes, nyc protested the first location ;) they’re in high traffic tourist areas.

      i just saw this stupid easy recipe for a korean hot sauce that made me think of this post!
      It was:
      6 tsp rice vinegar
      3 tsp guochujang paste
      3 tsp korean red pepper flakes (i think any hot red pepper flakes are fine)
      3 tsp sugar
      Mix and that’s it! The show i saw they used it on an omni egg and rice dish as a condiment but prob good for tofu among other things...
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  5. Well done Joan on snagging the freshly dried sweater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so proud of herself! She's actually been kind of taking over the pink sweater much to Kiki's chagrin!

      Delete