Sunday, July 15, 2018

Daiya Ice Cream Bars!

After seeing the new Daiya ice cream bars and the price, I emailed Daiya and told them I would love to try the bars but the price is way out of my budget. I asked them if they had any coupons and they sent me a coupon for one free daiya item!
I caught the first bus available at 7:30 am to go to Sprouts and pick a box! It's four or five blocks from Sprouts to the bus stop, and three blocks from the bus stop to my apartment so beating the heat is crucial!
I chose salted caramel swirl because I just cannot say no to vegan caramel. They have four flavors, Classic Vanilla Bean, Chocolate Fudge Crunch,Espresso Coffee, and Salted Caramel Swirl. The ice cream is coconut based, and the chocolate they use is fair trade. The Espresso and Fudge crunch are coated with dark chocolate with a vegan milk chocolate drizzle and the Vanilla Bean and Salted caramel are coated with the milk chocolate with a dark chocolate drizzle.
I have to say these are AHMAZING! First of all something that has always gotten on my nerves about ice cream bars is how the chocolate breaks and falls all over the place when you take your first bite. These do not do that. The chocolate sticks to the bar. The ice cream is smooth and very rich. It has a great caramel flavor. The box says the ice cream has a caramel swirl which I didn't really see, but that's okay because it still tasted so caramel-y! The bar was everything I wanted, sweet, creamy and caramel-y.
Flavor wise I give this bar a solid ten out of ten. But are they worth almost seven dollars? In my opinion no. For me that's a big chunk of my weekly food budget and so it's a hard no. But even if I made more money and had a looser budget I would still wait for a sale because that's just too much. My other  issue is that it's three bars. Why the odd number? What if you're a family of four? Or what if you have a partner? Or what if you have a few friends over? Having to buy two boxes is quite a bit of money.
But they are seriously out of this world, and if you see a sale or really feel like treating yourself I highly recommend these bars. My favorite daiya product so far!


9 comments:

  1. That’s awesome they sent you a coupon! They sound totally incredible..... i would never be able to get them home before they melted, it’s about 1/2 mile walk just to the subway stop in my neighborhood.
    Three bars? Whaaaat? That’s weird. And makes the cost even more obscene. You could get two boxes of trader joe’s mochi for the same price! Hopefully they become crazy popular, are sold at the store near me, and the cost goes down ;))
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I went first thing in the morning. They still got a little melt-y but they never would have made it during the day.
      I really don't get the three bar thing. It does make the price more obscene.
      They are delicious though, I hope you get to try them sometime!

      Delete
  2. How amazing that they sent you a coupon! I really love that they did that and that you were able to try the bars. I agree that the price for three bars is just outrageous but it seems like they really do want to get their products into the hands of their customers and I really love that they sent the coupon. The bar looks so delicious and the flavor sounds really yummy. You know I'd go for the espresso but you seriously can't go wrong with caramel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that a lot of companies will send coupons if you reach out to them. It's really nice because I would have never been able to try them!
      I almost grabbed the espresso but I couldn't resist the caramel!

      Delete
  3. I have to remember to look for these on my next Sprouts trip!!! They sound and look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are way better than I expected. I don't know why but I kind of thought they would just be okay, but they kind of blew my mind!!

      Delete
  4. That is so cool that they sent you a coupon, I am so glad you got to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was so nice of them. I never would have been able to try otherwise!

      Delete
  5. This isn't the first time I've heard of a vegan ice cream company that sells a weird number of bars! Three is a weird number. But that was really nice of them to send you that coupon. *drools* I want to try them so badly!

    ReplyDelete