Sunday, July 29, 2018

New Noodles

I've been wanting to try these sweet potato glass noodles for awhile, but I've never really known what to do with them. All of that changed when I binged a bunch of The Viet Vegan's videos on YouTube last week. In one video, she made a spicy lemongrass soup with mung bean noodles and  I knew how I would use them. I absolutely love lemongrass, and I haven't felt well the last couple of days so a spicy soup is just what I wanted!
The red curry and lemongrass broth is spicy and fragrant. It isn't blow your face off spicy, just a nice little kick. To me lemongrass tastes so fresh and clean. Here is the video and recipe I very loosely followed. I didn't use mushroom powder, and I was too lazy to marinate the tofu, I just baked it with a little salt and pepper. I also didn't add tomatoes or celery to the soup. That's what's great about soup is it's really about what you have or like in your kitchen. This was really, really tasty and I will definitely make it again. I really recommend her channel. She is super down to earth and relatable and makes seriously drool worthy food!
In my post yesterday I mentioned that Morningstar Farms has changed their formula for their Buffalo wings, chick'n nuggets and buffalo patties to vegan which is AMAZING! Here is the article if you'd like to read it. I just wanted to mention that you should still read the ingredients because I assume their going to finish selling the old formula first, and I;m sure the shelf life of frozen foods is pretty long so I'm not sure when the new formulas will actually be on shelves.



9 comments:

  1. I mentioned on Instagram, but I really enjoy these noodles. There is just something so fun about them, I love their slightly chewy texture, and the way sauce coats them. I ordered a korean noodle bowl for dinner on Friday night and it was so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely a fan of the noodles! Next time I use them I'll try making just a saucy noodle dish!I love discovering new things!!

      Delete
  2. What a great meal!! I love the flavor of lemongrass but I don’t cook with it much myself. In the summer i just can’t even deal with hot soup- heck i was a sweaty mess the other day when i just made some tofu scramble!
    I think you would really love japchae, it’s an easy flexible korean dish with glass noodles and veggies and sometimes tofu- and it’s almost better made ahead and eaten later
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I processed the lemongrass in my food processor with a clove of garlic and the smell was out of this world. Like it almost made me drool!!
      I think I had sun or heat poisoning or something because I was headache-y, nauseous, and kind of had the chills off and on. Plus I'm super lucky in that I have AC in my apartment!
      I think I just saw Cheap Lazy Vegan make that dish and it's on my list! I'm a fan of noodle dishes, especially cold noodle dishes!

      Delete
    2. Oh no!! I hope you’re feeling better now... :)
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  3. Yum, that soup looks so good! I haven't seen any of the new vegan Morningstar products yet, but I did see the Boca turk'y burger at Wegmans! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was so, so good! I will definitely be making it again!
      I used to love all three of those Morningstar farms proucts so I can't wait to have them again.

      Delete
  4. OMG that soup looks perfect!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm.... sounds yummy! You could also try googling a vegan jap chae recipe. It is a korean dish that uses those noodles. I use to love eating them, though it has been awhile.

    ReplyDelete