Friday, July 20, 2018

Some Cheap Vegan Food I've Eaten plus Cats!

This was a meal I threw together the night before I went grocery shopping. It was really delicious, especially considering that I had "nothing" to eat! It's funny what you can throw together when you think that! I just made a coconut curry broth with red lentils and added rice noodles and tofu. This definitely didn't taste thrown together!
This was a really, really delicious dish I made the other night. I got the idea from an Instagram post! It's just a shredded sweet potato that you bake with BBQ sauce for forty five minutes until it's all soft and super flavorful!! We all know white potatoes are one of my favorite foods, but I'm not a huge fan of sweet potatoes. I'm always trying to find ways to eat them that I enjoy, and these top the very small list! I used a smoky, spicy BBQ sauce that balanced the sweetness of the potatoes. Delicious!
I got this idea from a post from Sarah last week. It's my take on swimming rama which is basically rice topped with spinach, tofu and a spicy peanut sauce. I looked at a million different recipes and kind of just took from different versions to come up with this red curry peanut sauce made with coconut milk. It was drinkable!!
Yesterday I made a sun dried tomato pesto with spinach and green onions. I used sunflower seeds instead of nuts because sunflower seeds are friendlier on the wallet! I made some nooch-y tofu and tossed the pesto with Trader Joe's cauliflower gnocchi. In my mind this dish was going to be so beautiful and photogenic it was going to blow minds! Reality did not live up to fantasy, but it's okay because it was so DELICIOUS! If you haven't tried the cauliflower gnocchi from Trader Joe's, you really should. Especially if you're gluten free!
Kiki is known to kind of force cuddles, and I think she learned it from Etta. In my sweet Dylan's last years he had turned into a bit of a grump and Etta would lay down with him, and at first he would groan, and bite and swipe and she would just lay there until he calmed down and resigned himself to the cuddle. And also these two are both obsessed with the pink sweater that is now a part of my bedroom decor! Neither of them will even lay on the bed if they can't be on the sweater!
Happy Friday!





10 comments:

  1. Hey, while your photo of the cauli-gnocchi might not be blowing minds, it sure looks really, really tasty. Just curious, what is that stuff like in terms of texture and density? I've only ever had potato gnocchi a couple of times in my life, but I was never a huge fan. But I'm interested to try the cauliflower stuff (and, believe it or don't, your pic definitely helps). So...what's it like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that potato gnocchi is much denser than the cauliflower gnocchi. I've read some complaints that the cauliflower gnocchi is too gummy, but in my experience if you follow the cooking directions they are not gummy at all. I watched a review where someone made them in the microwave(??!!) and then proceeded to say how gummy and weird they were!
      I've now had them four or five times and I really love them. But they do seem to be a very love or hate food so I'm interested to see what side you fall on if you try them!

      Delete
  2. Whoa! You have been eating so well!! Everything is so impressive and I think all of your dishes look beautiful! Your take on swimming rama looks so good! I definitely have to make it soon! And hooray for snuggly kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I definitely don't feel deprived! As soon as I saw that picture of the swimming rama I was transported back to my first time trying it and I had to make it STAT! I've been in such a rut, thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your food looks great, as always! I especially love the idea for BBQ sweet potato; I will definitely have to give that a try! The tofu-pesto-gnocchi bowl sounds quite delicious, too! Such sweet cuddly kitties! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised by the sweet potato BBQ! And it kept me full a lot longer than jackfruit!

      Delete
  5. The bbq sweet potato thing has me intrigued... it wasn’t too sweet? And you shredthe sweet potato raw before baking..? Dunno if grater could handle that, sweet potatoes are hard!

    The spinach tofu peanut sauce sounds great- k, all peanut sauce sounds great, but I especially like it on greens. That cauliflower gnocchi is so popular i always see shoppers with several bags.
    I tried the TJs frozen riced cauliflower stir fry, after finally cookingout all the extra moisture it was pretty good- certainly nothing like actual rice. I added in a bunch of edamame to make it more of a meal
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried it would be really sweet. The sweetness is what I don't like about sweet potatoes, and the texture. But no, it wasn't sweet AT ALL. I almost chose a sweet and spicy BBBQ sauce but I didn't want anymore sweetness so I chose a smoky.
      But yes, I grated it raw and my arm KILLED afterwards! The person on Instagram said they used a food processor to grate it.
      I've never tried cauliflower rice and it is all the rage. I guess I just like regular rice!
      And peanut sauce is AMAZING with spinach! Balsamic what??

      Delete
  6. You are such a clever and inspired cook, your food always sounds so tasty, even when you don't have much in your pantry!
    I love kitty cuddle piles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes having such a tight budget is depressing, but when I really think about it, I realize it's taught me to be a much more creative cook. And some of the best meals come from odds and ends found around.

      Delete