Tuesday, July 17, 2018

WooHoo Vegan Food!

I found these chips on a serious woohoo sale and since I was planning on  making hummus and I've never tried this flavor I just couldn't resist. I also scored a personal watermelon for $1.50! It's been so hot and watermelon sounded so good! I like to eat half of the melon and juice the other half. Watermelon juice is sooooooo refreshing!
I made some jalapeno hummus with these diced tamed jalapenos. They're pretty mild, so they kind of just give the hummus a pickle-y little kick. I had some with the chips and it was a great snack. I like the chips, they're kind of like a super intense spicy BBQ chip.
On Saturday I knew I was going to be having a daiya ice cream bar for dessert so I wanted to keep it kind of light for dinner. Even though it's five million degrees out there, I've been having a serious craving for tomato soup. I whipped this up with an onion, garlic, a can of crushed tomatoes and some red lentils. With seasoning and some spices of course. I blended it to make it smooth and creamy. I had it with a pita and some chips. I didn't write down what I did which is a shame because this turned out amazing! I make a ton of soups and pride myself on being able to turn the most random ingredients into a soup, but I've always struggled with tomato soup. The texture is always off, or it tastes like tomato sauce not soup. But this reminded me of Cambell's tomato soup which was just what I wanted! It was like my Nana was there making me dinner and asking about my day!
My meals get super beige when it's close to grocery day! Even though it's beige, this was really very, very tasty especially for a total thrown together meal. I was thinking last week about some kind of lemon-y pasta, and when I saw Julie's post I just knew I had to make it. I didn't have any greens but it was still bright and tasty! I just tossed some cooked gluten free pasta with the juice of one lemon. olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. I also added nooch because why not. The lemon made it so bright and summer-y. On the side I had some baked tofu drizzled with green dragon sauce.
Here is an inside shot of the daiya ice cream bar. I forgot to add this picture in my review. Silly me! The carton said that the ice cream has a caramel swirl which as you can see there is no swirl. When I got to the very bottom there was a tiny swirl but definitely not throughout the whole bar. It's okay though because it really has a great caramel flavor!
Joan loves to watch birds for cats videos on YouTube, but I discovered the other night that she also enjoys The Viet Vegan videos She watched almost the whole thing with me!







11 comments:

  1. Those sales are so great! I love that it gives you the chance to try things you wouldn't normally try. Your meals look super yummy and there is definitely no swirl going on in that ice cream bar but that's great that it still had the caramel flavor regardless. That's such a great pic of Joan! I love that she watches YouTube and especially vegan YouTube ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I really love the WooHoo sales because I feel braver to try things when I'm not paying so much money!
      I love that Joan loves YouTube too!! She watched for at least close to twenty minutes!!

      Delete
  2. Chips look very interesting with the bacon.Never seen vegan bacon chips before and that tomato soup looks lovely.I'm always looking for a good one myself.You have one of the most cool vegan sites for new products.Always look forward to what fascinating new things you find.��
    Issabetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chips are more like a BBQ than a strong bacon flavor which I prefer. I'm not that into bacon-y flavors to be honest.
      Thank you, even if I can't afford to always try the new things I still like to keep my eye out!

      Delete
  3. I've only had those chips once -- I got a free bag at a vegfest, haha -- but I remember them being really good and really spicy! Hooray for the tomato soup success, and yay for making the lemon pasta! That's so cute that Joan watches vegan videos with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pasta definitely would have been better with some greens, but it was still so fresh and summer-y!
      I know, Joan is the cutest!

      Delete
  4. Score on the woohoo sales! I am sooo with you on the watermelon love, at this point i am legit obsessed and thrilled because the guy selling watermelon on the corner is back- his dad is a truck driver and brings them from georgia! They’re huge and cheap and delicious :))
    I cannot fathom the habanero chips with jalapeño hummus but obviously you have a high spice tolerance!
    The tomato soup sounds fantastic- i like to add a good amount of tomato paste to tomato soups, makes the flavor more intense. I’m anxiously awaiting august tomatoes for gazpacho!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking the other day that I want to try making gazpacho this year. I remember it was one of the only ways I liked tomatoes as a kid!

      Delete
    2. Gazpacho is great even if you only use a few ripe wonderful tomatoes and the rest regular roma tomatoes, my secret ingredient i swear by is using some original v8 instead of tomato juice- it seasons everything and i can just buy an individual 12oz can. A big cold bowl with avocado on top is the best summer dinner!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
    3. When I was a kid and HATED tomatoes I would eat my mom's gazpacho in the summer. She swore by V8 juice too so that's definitely what i will use.

      Delete
  5. That soup sounds great! I have made a number of tomato soup recipes over the years, but not many hit that perfect nostalgic sweet spot.

    ReplyDelete