Friday, July 13, 2018

Cheap and Easy Vegan Food!

This is one of my favorite items at Trader Joe's. It's only $.79 a packet, and I get quite a few uses out of one packet. Unlike other taco seasoning packets this isn't full of scary weird ingredients. It also is very mildly spicy so I would say it's safe even for people who can't tolerate or just don't like spice. 
I used it to make some lentil/quinoa taco filling the other night. With shredded romaine and some smoky spicy salsa. I made extra taco filling because I wanted to try totchos for the first time ever.
First I made some potato queso. This was a really good batch and it was super hard to not just eat it like soup.
I realized too late that I should have plated this on a plate instead of in a bowl because this just looks like a salad! But trust me it's a big bowl of totchos! I started with tater tots, added the lentil/quinoa taco mixture followed by tons of potato queso, green onions and scallions, shredded romaine, salsa, and of course avocado. This was AMAZING! I don't know what took me so long to try totchos, but I will definitely be making these again! And the possibilities are endless, I'm thinking Buffalo chickpea totchos, and some type of sloppy lentil totcho.
This was my dinner last night. I made cold sesame noodles and had them with some shredded romaine and baked tofu. I made the noodles in the morning so all I had to do was bake the tofu and shred the lettuce. So easy!! And I really love the cold soft noodles with the crisp cold romaine plus the warm tofu. Lots of textures, flavors and temperatures.
Spotted all over downtown. Thought provoking!





6 comments:

  1. Great idea with the totchos! I am definitely making myself that same sesame noodle bowl, what a great combo- I totally love crunchy cold lettuce with about anything. (I actually eat an embarrassing amount of lettuce every week! Yes i am living the veg*n stereotype;)) good idea to make ahead part of dinner in the morning.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shredded lettuce has definitely been on my meals lately. I just love the cold crunch especially with warm foods!
      It makes it so I have no excuse to go for an easy less healthy choice.

      Delete
  2. Your totchos bowl sounds so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so good, I don't know why I waited so long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I am catching up on many days of reading blog posts!
    Totchos are so good, I like them better than actual nachos. Though we call them potato gems here, not tater tots... so... gemchos?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm.... those totchos sound yummy! I want some tater tots, but it has been too hot to turn my oven on. T__T

    ReplyDelete