Monday, July 23, 2018

Cheap and Cheerful


This is not the prettiest dish, but it is one of the tastiest and most budget friendly meals around. I saw it on Sarah's post the other day and knew I had to make it. I remember making it a few times when I lived in Erie and I just haven't made it since which is a mistake on my part! It's Mujadara which is a Middle Eastern lentil and rice dish. If you are on a budget this is the meal for you! It's so inexpensive to make, and you get a lot. It's delicious hot, room temperature and cold. I followed this recipe and made a few changes. I used one tablespoon of oil to caramelize the onions not one half cup. To me that amount of oil is insane. About halfway through I added a little water to help things along. I also didn't add cayenne because I don't have any. Fun fact about me, as much as I love and adore all kinds of spicy foods, cayenne is my least favorite spice and I never use it. Also the onions take closer to forty five minutes to caramelize. This is a great meal to make on a day off and then you have leftovers for work or for a quick meal before or after. Or you can be like me and try to refurbish the leftovers! I have a small chunk of leftover tofu, and a very small amount of coconut and almond flour, so I'm going to blend the tofu and use it as a binder and try to make burgers or fritters out what's left!
I have two interviews this week, and I'm still hoping to hear from the place where I ha a phone interview. Waiting is so hard. Like at what point do you give up hope? Maybe this will be my week?



12 comments:

  1. Oh gosh - I love that stuff! There's a Syrian church near my parents house and, every year since as far back as I can remember, they have a festival where they sell all sorts of Middle Eastern foods. Hummus, pita, stuffed summer squash, grape leaves, gyros - everything. The rice with lentils and caramelized onions is always a favorite.

    Back in the 1990s I bought one of the spiral bound cookbooks put out by that church just so I could have that very recipe. Yours looks spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love grape leaves! Years ago I made my own but it was quite the process!
      I'm attempting to turn my leftover Mujadara into mujadara burgers!!

      Delete
  2. Mujadara sounds nice. I've not come across it before. Report back on the burgers. Fingers crossed for the interviews. Sending all the good vibes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so delicious. I also love it of course because it's very budget friendly!
      The burgers turned out really, really tasty but the didn't really firm up as much as I wanted.
      The job that I really want called me last night and I have an interview with them tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Oooh i love mujaderra! Carmelizing the onions is kind of a pain (but omg 1/2 cup oil?? That’s waaaay too much) but also SO worth the time. More of a winter dish for me somehow.

    Good luck on the interviews!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only annoying thing about making the dish is caramelizing the onions, but in the end it's sooo worth it. I think actually when I made it forever ago in Erie it might have been you that suggested it to me. But it really is so delicious.
      Thanks I need it!

      Delete
  4. Waiting is so hard. I hope you get some positive news soon.
    1/2 cup of oil for the onions is so much! I would have cut it down as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting is really the worst, and it seems to happen more and more with the wait time.
      I almost gagged when I saw that she called for 1/2 cup!! What the hell?!

      Delete
  5. Yay, I'm so glad you made it! Yours looks so delicious, I'm glad that you enjoyed it! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you that these interviews go well! Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you reminded me of that dish. I love that it tastes fancy and it's actually a super budget meal!

      Delete
  6. I'm definitely going to have to try making Mujadara after seeing it first on Sarah's blog and now yours; it sounds so good! Best of luck with your interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still crossing my fingers for your interviews! I've never made mujadara before, but I have a recipe in my vegan casseroles book. Maybe I'll make it on a cool day.

    ReplyDelete