Monday, April 30, 2018

Trader Joe's Cauliflower Gnocchi

I was dreaming about this all day and just couldn't wait to try it! I even splurged and chose my favorite sauce to have with the gnocchi. I also cooked some green lentils and sliced some fancy green olives. The few cauliflower dishes I like I also make and I know how to mask the taste. Since I didn't make these I was scared of a strong cauliflower taste and I wanted to really hide it.
The bag has directions for boiling, and also their preferred method which is cooking them in a pan with a little water from frozen, then adding some oil or butter to give them a saute and brown them a little. Pretty much like cooking a gyoza or pierogi. I chose the saute method because that's how I always made my pierogis.
The gnocchi on the bag are a beautiful golden color which I was not able to achieve. Mine got a little tiny color from the oil, but it was more of a light beige even after cooking for a few minutes longer. They aren't super fragile, but I was worried about overcooking and turning to mush. So after they were done getting "golden" I added my cooked lentils, crushed red pepper and some sauce. I turned the heat off and stirred everything together. I also added lots of nooch and sliced olives at the very end.
It is really saucy as you can see. I was super nervous about the flavor so I added extra sauce. When I opened the bag it was super cauliflower-y smelling and it scare me a little. I did taste one before I added the sauce and it was okay. I feel like I could eat them with less sauce next time. And there will be a next time. I really enjoyed this dish! These gnocchi are made with cassava flour so they are vegan and gluten free! I've heard some people complain of gumminess and also the gnocchi sticking to the roof of their mouths. I definitely had no issues with the roof of my mouth, and yes there is a slight gummy factor, but it's very slight and didn't bother me at all. To be honest I always found any store bough gnocchi to be a little gummy. I actually felt like these were less gummy than store bought gnocchi made from potatoes. I give these two thumbs up and will definitely buy again. As in when I do my shopping for next week I'll be buying more!
They take about twelve to fifteen minutes total to cook if you do the water saute finished with an oil/butter saute so it's a really easy and quick thing to throw together. And unlike a lot of frozen meals these don't have weird ingredients. Just cauliflower, cassava flour, potato starch, olive oil and sea salt.
They kept their shape and didn't turn to mush even with extra cooking and all that sauce I added. These far exceeded my expectations! My one suggestion is to definitely add some beans or tofu, or have a big salad or something because they're kind of like jackfruit in that they don't keep you full for super long. Even with the lentils I felt a little snacky a while after dinner. Other than that I am so happy these exist and I can't wait to have them again!!
It was in the eighties on Friday and Saturday, and in the sixties yesterday and now this morning it was snowing for awhile! So who ever thought I would have to turn the heat on again but here we are. Joan is not complaining! Excuse the computer cord, I'm blogging from bed and was too lazy to move it!



5 comments:

  1. I was curious to see how these were. We don't have anything like that here. I am glad they were good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed them. It seems like it might be fun to try to make them myself, but these are just so easy!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the review! I've heard mixed reviews but it definitely sounds worth trying! Sweet Joan, how adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like there is no grey area, people either love them or hate them! I am definitely team love! Maybe it's because I've been gluten free for so long and was desperate to have gnocchi! I think they're really tasty! I hope you like them!

      Delete
  3. That’s exciting you liked them! Although kind of funny because I didn’t realize you don’t like cauliflower ;) it certainly has a very specific small, especially when frozen or boiled to death.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete