Friday, April 13, 2018

Getting Stuff Done and Trying New Things

Yesterday was a very cool rainy day where the rain would turn to snow for a few seconds, and then back to rain. It was a strange day that actually perfectly matched my strange mood. It made me think of Seattle as grey drizzle-y days tend to do. I've been wanting to reorganize my pantry for awhile now so I decided to get to it yesterday. I always feel better when I do little organizational tasks because I am not an organized person, but I want to be so it's a battle. I don't have a super awesomely stocked pantry so it wasn't like a huge task but I still feel much better. And now I can't stop admiring my pantry!
Before
It looks like I have so much more stuff than I do because it's just kind of thrown in there. I'm a mad scientist when I cook so I just put it back wherever. Also as I've mentioned my apartment doesn't have recycling, so a ton of those jars are empty jars that I save to be reused.
After
I moved my empty glass jars off to one side, and also just one shelf instead of being everywhere. I also just kind of condensed everything else an put it in some kind of order, beans with beans, rice with rice and so on. It's not perfect, and for people who are super organized this is probably still a mess but for me and my needs this is perfect. I want to slowly start adding more pantry staples and now I can clearly see what I need or want to add. Kanye, Joan and Roxy also like to run on the shelves and sometimes nap so I have to make sure there's plenty of room for that.
I have always hated asparagus with a fiery passion. Like I kind of feel like gagging just looking at this picture. But my coworker made this asparagus for me to try and not only did I not gag but I ate it all! She sauteed it in olive oil, garlic and margarine and it tasted nice and garlic-y! She made me try a piece in front of her and I was so scared! I don't see myself buying pounds of asparagus, but this showed me that asparagus won't absolutely make you die in a puddle of your own puke!
I found these odd little fruits at work and at first I thought they were big limes. When I saw they were something else I just had to get one. I had never heard of these little fruits before! I googled it when I got home and they say to just cut in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon, like kiwi.
I was scared that the middle would be slimy but it wasn't at all. The flavor is AMAZING! I could taste a little pineapple, berries, and a little citrus and even mint. The texture is melon like, but it might get softer when it's more ripe? I want more!! These are delicious. It reminded me of taking a handful of jelly beans and throwing them in your mouth. A delicious swirl of flavors!
I don't know why but yesterday reminded me of kind of a Netflix and Chinese delivery kind of day. So I made my own delivery meal! I made some col sesame noodles, rice and spicy tofu and cauliflower bites. So much tastier than any delivery and much cheaper. I had this and watched an episode of Travelers on Netflix. Followed by Arrested Development which always makes me laugh. I love Jason Bateman!!
Joan and Roxy remind me each morning that it's time for breakfast. Whether I'm sleeping or not. Kanye reminds me when it's treat time. I hand out treats after my first cup of tea, and if I linger too long I get the stare. Treats mean a lot to her!






15 comments:

  1. I sense a little co-worker preparing/sharing food reciprocity going on here. Very nice. Congrats on trying the asparagus. Unlike you, I can't imagine life without it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coworker who made me the asparagus is the tofu hating coworker who I made tofu tacos for so you're definitely right!
      I am definitely in the minority when it comes to asparagus!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and incidentally, treats are very important to me, too. I'm sure I wear a similar expression every time my husband eats potato chips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you enjoyed the asparagus prepared by your coworker! I never liked asparagus before going vegan, but I really enjoy it now! Your "delivery" meal looks delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was seriously shocked that I loved it! I expected to gag!

      Delete
  5. Oooh that asparagus looked perfectly cooked! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! My favorite way to eat asparagus is simply roasted with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Maybe you'll end up being a convert ;) That fruit sounds so interesting and your non-delivery looks perfect! It's 71 here today and then of course will drop back down to 40s/50s and rain just in time for my weekend. I have a feeling it'll be a netflix kind of weekend for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how spring has been here. One or two days of spring weather and then back to almost winter weather!
      I think I might try roasting some asparagus soon!

      Delete
  6. How exciting to be on the recieving end of a delicious food gift! I adore asparagus but it’s easy to overcook (say clear of frozen and canned asparagus, that stuff is yucky moosh).

    Yay for chinese food and netflix! Exactly what chilly rainy days off need. Are there any asian grocery stores where you are? I’ve always loved chinatown and they always have awesome crazy cheap tofu and produce, and a lot of great condiments of course. I spent $8.25 today and left with two pounds of bok choy, a container of sesame oil, a pound of bean sprouts and a package of fresh tofu!
    An organized pantry is very soothing somehow :))
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an Asian market somewhat near me but I have to take the worst bus ever to get there so I don't go as often as I would like. But they do have out of this world prices!!
      I love my pantry now!!!

      Delete
    2. I saw some clever shoppers that brought a small suitcase to put their heavy shopping in! Definitely worthwhile to stock up on condiments which can be stupid expensive at regular stores, and tofu freezes really well :)
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  7. Hi again. Out now is Brew Dr. Kombucha's 2018 seasonal summer flavor, Strawberry-Basil. (Fresh strawberries, two types of basil with a hint of hibiscus) Enjoy the light and fizzy vibes while hopping around the interwebs!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious!! I love strawberries and basil! I'll have to check Natural grocers and see if they have that flavor!

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear that the cats are keeping you in line with their feeding schedule. ;)
    I have had feijoa jam before, but I don't think I have tried the fruit. They are available here sometimes, so I will keep an eye out. Your description sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete