Monday, April 16, 2018

What I Drink to Feel Good

For about two weeks I've been experimenting with vegan bulletproof coffee. I stopped drinking coffee on the regular years ago, but when you work until midnight there are days where green tea just isn't enough.When bulletproof coffee became the rage awhile back I kind of gave the whole thing the side eye as I often do with trends. Honestly I didn't even know a vegan version existed until I kind of accidentally came across a recipe on the interwebz. A lot of the recipes I've come across call for a teaspoon to a tablespoon of coconut oil. I use about one fourth of a teaspoon, a little coconut milk and a little maple syrup. You just blend the coffee and oil and those two things alone make the coffee creamy and frothy like a latte. It's the coolest thing! And if you add a little plant milk it's extra decadent! I don't know about all of the health claims, but I do know that it gives you a much longer lasting energy boost. It just kind of gently wakes you up, and helps you throughout the day. It's less of a sudden jolt and crash and more of a slow gentle lift that kind of just lingers with you and then gently fades away.  When I would have a regular coffee before work, I would get an extreme crash several hours later. Sometimes I would have another caffeinated beverage just to get through the shift. When I have a bulletproof coffee in the morning it lasts throughout the day.
Drinking green juice makes me feel like a kinder person. I guess because feeling healthy naturally makes you happier. Or something like that. I got that little picture on clearance at Big Lots for like ninety nine cents.
This was my green smoothie yesterday and most days really. Spinach, maca powder, banana, avocado, and whatever frozen fruit I have for the week. This week it's strawberries and pineapple.
I'm working on doing more meal prepping to help me make healthier choices when I come home from work, but the truth is sometimes I have frozen fries or tots for dinner. So I feel better when I've had lots of greens earlier in the day. Life is a balancing act right?
There is a spot to the left of my bedroom window where I believe a bird has made a nest. Joan is extremely interested in the goings on. Last night I left my window cracked and I woke up this morning to her being in between the screen and the window all stretched out and smushed. See the little baby leaves on the little tree? They seemed to sprout overnight. I love spring so much!!




8 comments:

  1. I was drinking vegan bulletproof coffee for awhile, and it definitely helps you stay fuller until lunch. My breakfast usually wears off in a couple hours. I should get back into that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am amazed by how great I feel when I just have one cup! I was skeptical at first but I now believe the hype!

      Delete
  2. Definitely all about balance!
    Juices and smoothies I am there with, but mixing coffee with coconut oil? Granted both those things make me sick, so I just can't imaging it. ;) But I am glad it helps you.
    Silly Joan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it sounds so weird to blend coconut oil and coffee, but I swear it's a million times more effective than having a cup of regular coffee! It sounds crazy but I swear it works!

      Delete
  3. I've heard of bulletproof coffee but never really had the desire to try it. Your description of frothy decadence does sound appealing though and you have me rethinking it! Your juices have been inspiring me too. I really want to get back into juices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never ha the desire to try it either, until one day when I was really, really tired and I decided to try it and I was amazed by how perked up I felt in a much more natural way.
      I swear green juice gives me a boost too!

      Delete
  4. I’m surprised that such a tiny amount of coconut oil makes such a difference in the coffee- i feel like every time i read about it there’s like 1-2TB of butter or coconut oil involved. The one time i tried it (at some fancy health food trendy spot) it was sooo heavy and left that weird greasy coating in my mouth- totally turned me off trying it much less making it! I am a coffee obsessive myself, at home i like to add a splash of hot canned coconut milk or vanilla soymilk to my coffee- i can’t deal with food until i’ve been awake a while and had that first cup!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that the bulletproof coffee is working for you. It sounds so gross, but the photos does make it look so yummy. Weird. I was listening to a podcast and one of the people were laughing at the trend because years ago her friend would make coffee with butter, and everyone loved the taste but thought it was nasty when she would tell them her secret. XD

    I wonder if you could brew some black tea and put the coconut oil in it? That sounds super yummy, and maybe it would help with the hours?

    ReplyDelete