Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Simple not Complicated

As I've mentioned I don't really get a meal break at work so I either go all eight hours without eating or I might have a snack of vegan yogurt or some hummus and veggies/crackers. So I like to have a hearty meal before work to tide me over. Yesterday I realized it's been far too long since I've had lentil soup.  This has red and green lentils, potatoes and a bunch of the cruciferous mix. I kept the seasoning simple, just salt, pepper, smoked paprika, turmeric and crushed red pepper. I topped my bowl with some sunflower hummus and of course green dragon sauce. This kept me full for a really long time.
One thing I love about this time of year is that potatoes are cheap! I got a ten pound bag of potatoes for  $1.99! I've been having lots of oven fries and I couldn't be happier. I had been relying on frozen fries too much when I got home from work. It feels better to take the extra five minutes to just prepare my own. So last night I had some fries with some more gardein meatless balls. I always want to laugh and make juvenile jokes when I type meatless balls. Am I alone? I seriously forgot how tasty these are. Delicious, so worth the cheat! I mixed sweet and spicy mustard with vegan mayo for the sauce.
So last week I took one of my coworkers some extra cauliflower cheese sauce and she and her cauliflower hating husband loved it and she asked for the recipe, and now I have a coworker who tried tofu at an Asian restaurant and didn't like the texture. She said she was fine with the taste. So I told her that I'm going to make her some tofu to change her mind! I'm going to use the super firm tofu from Trader Joe's that isn't packed in water and I'm going to make two versions, one just plain baked with coconut oil and salt and pepper which is my all time favorite, and the second version in some kind of sauce. I'm going to find out what flavors she likes today. I love sharing vegan food and also opening peoples minds to a meat free life! I'll definitely let you know what she thinks. I love a challenge!


14 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you are making vegan stuff for your friends and co-workers! Also awesome they are enjoying what you made! Can't wait to hear more about these successes! The potatoes look great! They aren't as cheap here but still fairly good. I hope to make it more of a thing in the coming weeks and months! DH won't be around much the next couple of days (to a week and a half) so I will be doing more potatoes for sure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nervous about the tofu. This girl eats a super duper SAD diet so hopefully I can impress her with tofu!
      Potatoes for life!

      Delete
  2. I also crack up anytime I type or say the word "balls" for anything. :D

    And good for you for sharing awesome vegan food with your co-workers! That's the best way to spread the message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not alone! I agree I am not a good in your face kind of person, and I never want to feed into the stereotype of the angry judgmental vegan. I think food is a great way to open peoples minds.

      Delete
  3. Every time I hear or see or say the word balls I follow it up with 'hee hee hee', even if it is only in my mind. Balls. Heh!
    You have some very luck co-workers! I would be happy for someone to bring me cauliflower cheese sauce anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just such a funny word!I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I would love it if someone brought me anything vegan!

      Delete
  4. Your lentil soup sounds and looks delicious!!

    Potatoes for dinner are always a win in my book. I loved a good oven baked version! I really should start experimenting with dipping sauces - thanks for the reminder.

    I've found that non-vegans like the Sriracha Tofu from TJ's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lentil soup is one of my all time favorites!
      I love the sriracha tofu! Maybe I'll see if she likes sriracha and try to make a homemade version!

      Delete
  5. I actually won a 'best balls' prize one year in Mofo for my matcha truffles recipe. One of the things I'm most proud of winning in my life, haha. I love what you are doing with your co-workers. That's proper vegan grassroots outreach. I applaud you. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matcha truffles sound amazing! Balls! Ha ha ! I believe food can really make a difference and I am happy to try and share the message!

      Delete
  6. Your lentil soup looks absolutely delicious! I think it is a perfect meal to satiate you for a long time at work. How amazing that you are cooking for your coworkers and they are enjoying some vegan fare! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did keep me full for a long time! The tofu is going to be really more of the challenge I think. But fingers crossed I can change her mind!

      Delete
  7. That lentil soup sounds totally perfect before a long day! And that is the most crazy awesome price i have ever heard of for so many potatoes...!!
    How exciting and fun to introduce another coworker to tasty vegan food- i love that you are so generous and enthusiastic :)) i think baked tofu in soyaki sauce from trader joe's is a sure thing, and a familiar flavor for about anyone- and would be really easy for even a total non cook to recreate at home.
    I truly believe that every single cruelty free meal counts, so i also do as much as i can to make and share delicious dishes :))
    My omni coworkers buy their lunch often and i told them about the new beyond sushi (vegan sushi place) and how much i love the mushroom roll there and now they go once a week or so and really enjoy it!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice score on the potatoes; your dinner sounds great! That's so awesome that you are making vegan food for your coworkers; I'm sure they appreciate your help figuring everything out! :)

    ReplyDelete