Sunday, November 26, 2017

Cheese-y Potato Corn and Greens Chowder. Vegan Of Course!

I had soup and grilled cheese for dinner last night! I didn't think I'd ever have a grilled cheese again! I'm so glad I bought two loaves of that gluten free bread. I also made a potato, broccoli corn and greens kind of cheese-y chowder and it turned out fantastic! It's very creamy and rich but not heavy. I used the So Delicious vegan shreds which worked great in the soup, and it did melt in the sandwiches but it took some work. I caught up on some Young Turks and made this soup. It was a great time! I even wrote down what I did and I'm glad because I definitely want to make this again!


                                                      Cheese-y Potato Corn and Greens Chowder
  • 6 Medium Large Russet Potatoes Chopped
  • 1/2 Onion Diced
  • 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
  • 3/4 Tsp. Salt
  • 3/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
  • 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 Tsp. Poultry Seasoning
  • 1 Cup. Chopped Broccoli 
  • 5 Cups Water
  • 5 T. Nutritional Yeast
  • 1/4 Tsp. Smoked Paprika
  • 1 Bunch Lacinto or curly kale shredded
  • 3/4 C. Frozen Corn
  • 1/2 C. Lite Coconut Milk
  • 1/4 C. Vegan cheddar shreds
Saute the onion and garlic in oil of choice or water saute(I used a little coconut oil) on medium heat until translucent. Once they are translucent add the potatoes, all the spices and the broccoli. Stir around for a few minutes and then add water and nooch. Bring it up to a boil, and then simmer for about thirty to forty five minutes. Once everything is soft, take about half of the soup and blend it. Once it's smooth add it back with the rest. Add the corn, kale, shreds and coconut milk. Let this simmer for about five minutes, stirring often and then turn off heat place the lid on your pot and let it rest for a few minutes. Enjoy!
This soup was good and cheese-y without the vegan shreds so feel free to omit them. I just figured why not since I had them on hand.
To be honest the So Delicious shreds were kind of just okay. In the soup they were great, and after some nudging they mostly melted in my sandwich. But I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again. It's kind of like an if it's on sale type of thing.
Today is three weeks that I've had this couch. This is what my sweet girls have already done!! It really is everyone, but especially Afro. She puts her whole heart and soul in destroying furniture. She's like a furniture demolitioner or something. I think all cat people can relate!

5 comments:

  1. My sofa in Sydney was basically just one big scratching post! It got so trashed. But they loved it!
    I am so excited that the bread was good for a grilled cheese! Yay for sandwiches!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cats think that couches are basically just big scratching posts that they can also sleep on! Lucky I always buy used!
      I was so incredibly happy to have a grilled cheese. It was like a long forgotten love that hadn't changed at all! I just wish that dang bread weren't so expensive, I'd have it all the time!

      Delete
  2. That soup sounds great! And grilled cheese is really exciting :)) i totally know what you mean about the shreds, just meh. I had to cut out dairy looonng before there were any faux cheeses out there so i just leanred to live without it and guess i'm lucky that it's not a craving. (However i do crave ice cream and milky hot drinks)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chowder sounds incredible! It is definitely soup season. I found a recipe for Minestrone I was to try for next week. I'm excited to try it! I'll definitely have to give this chowder a try as well and hooray for grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for grilled cheese, and your chowder sounds great, too! :D

    ReplyDelete