Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Potatoes All Day

When I was at Whole Foods last week, I got some fresh turmeric root. It's the only place I've seen fresh turmeric root since moving to SLC. So yesterday I made a carrot, ginger, turmeric orange juice. It was really zippy and refreshing. And as usual I got a little burst of energy. I figured the turmeric would be good for my back since I'm still not at 100%. People have been buying insane amounts of pumpkins. And the last little bit of my cold is lingering so I figured the vitamin C and ginger would help kick it out of my body.
For breakfast/lunch I made some roasted potatoes seasoned with Creole seasoning and made potato tacos. I kept it simple and topped them with cilantro and green dragon sauce. Super easy and really delicious.
I like the corn tortillas from Trader Joe's. They're a little bigger and sturdier than other brands I've tried. They don't compare to a flour tortilla of course(sob) but they make great tacos.
I decided to stick with the potato theme and have potatoes again for dinner. I was feeling a little blue last night because it was my last day off so I made the ultimate comfort food. Mashed potatoes and gravy.
I haven't seen the Mayacamas gravy mix anywhere in SLC and it's definitely my favorite. Randomly we have it where I  work in the gluten free section. It's so good and doesn't have weird ingredients in it. Although I am working on not buying anything where I work. I don't like several things about the company, and I don't want to give them any of my money. I'm sure I can buy this gravy online.
My girls don't want my work week to start either. They like the extra snuggles and also having meals on a regular schedule!




6 comments:

  1. Potatoes always!
    I have started noticing that fresh turmeric is available in our regular supermarkets now, which is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for potatoes! I need to try potato tacos. That juice is the most beautiful color, I bet it was a great energy boost. I have heard so much about turmeric lattes, I really want to give it a try. Love the sweet snuggly babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try making a tumeric latte at home first- just steep chopped tumeric in hot vegan milk you like. I bought one for like $5 and it was actually totally yucky tasting..!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  3. That orange looks perfect! The potatoes sound wonderful! Right now I'm on a no bread, no pasta thing - but you know - I have only lost 1 pound - so what I have learned is that my gained weight wasn't all from those two 'bad carb' foods! LOL - I think after this run is done I might try a potato run - many potatoes for many reasons - and see what happens! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found fresh tumeric in the crummy little market near me because it's used commonly in the various ethnic dishes people in my neighborhood make so it's really cheap! But it molds quickly so freeze any you won't use in a few days.
    I really like it with ginger in veggie blend juices, but not so much as is or as i said above i had a tumeric latte and that was pretty yucky.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always grew up with corn tortillas so I had to get use to the flour ones! XD Do you at least toast your tortillas? Like toss them in the oven for 5 minutes to warm up and get a little bit crispy. It makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete