Wednesday, October 4, 2017

A Bit of a Tangent

Not only is working at night killing me physically, but look what it's doing to my food pictures!! With no natural light and only my crappy kitchen light it's pretty dang brutal. This was already a super beige/brown meal, and my kitchen lighting makes it even drearier!! But it tasted great and filled me up after work and that's what counts right? This was just handsome cut fries from Trader Joe's which are the BEST if you haven't tried them, some tofu baked with Creole seasoning, and two of the Sol veggie breakfast patties. All dipped in yellow mustard. Fries are always paired with etchup, but they taste great with mustard too!
I was chatting with a coworker and somehow being a vegan came up, and she mentioned that she's always wanted to go vegan, but she thinks it would be super complicated. I of course told her it is SUPER easy and hands down the best decision I've ever made. That's why I continue to show my food and pictures no matter how boring or horribly lit because I want to show that it is simple, it doesn't have to be expensive and it certainly isn't boring. I think sometimes if you scroll Instagram and see some of the absolutely BEAUTIFUL pictures it can definitely seem intimidating and expensive. I wish I still had all my cookbooks because I would love to loan her the first vegan cookbook that I owned as a new vegan. It helped A LOT. I think at some point if I ever adjust to my schedule and feel like a human being again, I'm going to make a big batch of something, and take some  to work and leave on the break room table for everyone to try.
I've noticed lately that when people ask me questions about veganism it's more about the expense than protein. And I see why because plant meats and cheeses are freaking expensive which is why I so rarely eat them. So when non vegans look to swap out proteins they probably look at plant meats first. It's amazing how people seem to forget that beans exist, and are so inexpensive. Beans aren't just for chili kids!
I know a lot of vegans argue that meat is expensive too, but now that I work at a grocery and I'm a cashier, I see prices of things I never look at and meat can be expensive, but also very cheap. There are tons of buy one get one sales, and also it gets marked way down when it's close to the sell by time. I mean, I guess what I'm saying is what everyone says which is crap food is cheap.
Sorry for the little rant, I guess I'm more passionate than I  realized! If anyone has any suggestions for what I should make to take to work I'd love to hear them. I'm not sure if I should go sweet or savory. I haven't baked in a million years so sweet could be a good or bad thing. Anyway, here's to spreading positive realistic and simple vegan awareness!

9 comments:

  1. Vegan substitutes are SOOO expensive! I feel bad when people get me vegan ice cream or marshmallows. It is nice to be included but I know how cheap their counterparts can be! BUT on the flip side I think some people are surprised at how cheap my groceries cost. I don't think I've spent more than $100 in a week for food... at least not non-holiday weeks. That is for two people. It is usually more like $60-80 on average.

    And yup your right crap food is cheap. I was listening to a podcast about food theft. A HUGE portion of food is fake- still. Something like 10% of all food out of market has some false statements. Whether it is not being 100% of the product on the label, or being sourced differently (their example were some of the fancy honeys) I mean look at chocolate- it is so cheap because there is so much child labor involved with the major companies. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so sad how really crappy food is so cheap. But there are healthy foods that are cheap too.
      I swear it's my life's mission to show examples of cheap vegan food!

      Delete
  2. Vegan subs are definitely pricey, especially here where so many of them are imported! I think it is important that we continue to show that vegan eating doesn't have to be expensive, there are so many great, cost friendly options out there!

    Taking something to work for everyone when you are up to it sounds like a great idea! I would think probably something sweet, because everyone loves a cookie and it is an easy thing for people to adjust into thinking is vegan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think cookies are a great idea, cause you're right who doesn't love a cookie!!

      Delete
  3. I agree with the above, vegan substitutes are definitely expensive (Gardein is amazing but really expensive, as is ice cream and other mock products) and I'm sure it is a huge turn off for new vegans or people interested in trying veganism.

    That's really amazing that your coworker is curious and that you were there to give her the information that she needs. That is a great idea to make something and bring it in. I always did that with baked goods because people always thing vegan baking would probably be weird. But nope, it's not, and I always loved sharing that with people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, baking something sweet shows how simple it can be to make delicious vegan sweets. I hope I can at least open some minds.
      I'm excited to at least try!

      Delete
  4. Your dinner sounds amazing regardless of how the picture turned out! That's great that your co-worker has an interest in veganism, and such a good idea to bring in some vegan food to share! Hope it goes well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that there are now so many faux meat options available! So many omnis "want" to eat less animal products yet haven't a clue how to make a meal without them, and although they can be expensive they are less expensive than organic pastured omni proteins. Which is great news.
    But for so many reasons not sustainable as a full time vegan. And absolutely contributiuto the myth that vegan is expensive.
    I think it's great the store you work in has dr praegers and vegan ben and jerry's! I love seeing vegan foods in main stream grocery stores, it helps reach a new audience and normalize it as a lifestyle
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely right about the cost of organic meat vs. plant substitutes. Now that I am ringing things up I see the huge difference in price with organic vs. non organic.
      I also noticed that my store is now selling a few gardein products. Obviously there is a demand and it's just so wonderful!

      Delete