Friday, May 1, 2015

When Za'atar and Burgers Meet, We All Win!!

Yesterday I was running late for work, and I needed to eat something quick, and I remembered my Sweet Earth Za'atar Burgers in my freezer. I had found these babies on clearance for $1.98 a package at Target! Woot woot! I  baked my burger on a baking sheet in the oven at about 375 Fahrenheit for about ten minutes on side one, five minutes for side two. The directions say to cook in a pan on the stove top, or use a grill pan or grill. I felt they were fine in the oven, but certainly cook in the oven at your own risk. My kitchen smelled so wonderful, like the best pizza I've ever smelled! Za'atar is one of my favorite spice blends. I believe it's the sumac that really makes it pop for me. Za'atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend that has sesame seeds, sumac, dried oregano, sea salt, and sometimes cumin. I first had Za'atar on a toasted pita, and I was in love right away. It's herby, and earthy and the sumac gives it a slight tang, and it just really works. Okay, I got sidetracked on the Za'atar, let's get back to the burgers!
The ingredient list is full of interesting flavors. Along with seitan, they have Garbanzo beans, farro, flax seed meal, Quinoa, lentils, Tahini, spinich, carrots, plus more! But not one funky weird thing.
The burgers have less of a meaty texture than other seitan based burgers. The texture reminded me of an old school Gardenburger. I don't know about anyone else, but that was one of my faves back in my vegetarian days. I had my burger on my favorite bread ever, Veganic (sesame sunflower all the thumbs up) with a smear of Just Mayo, and some Romaine lettuce. The Za'atar flavor was there, but not overpowering, and the burger was nice and big. I think it would be great with a slice of Chao creamy original, but alas mine had all been eaten cold. When I make the second burger, it's going in a pita with lettuce, tomato, and some Tahini garlic sauce! I don't know about their other flavors, but the Za'atar burger is not trying to emulate meat in any way. It stands tall in it's grainy, beany, veggie self.
I am really liking Sweet Earth. They have been around for a long time, are a vegetarian company with a strong vegan product line, and these burgers are the third Sweet Earth product I've tried. I have also had their amazing hickory and sage smoked seitan bacon, and their Curry Tiger burrito. I would feel confident at this point trying any of their vegan offerings. That bacon is going to be amazing for some vegan B.L.T's this summer when the tomatoes are at their best!
Have you tried any of Sweet Earth's amazing treats?

No comments:

Post a Comment