Monday, May 18, 2015

Beet-le Juice and Pizza

Pizza, Dylan, and beet juice!!
I had to find a use for the rest of the Victoria Vegan original Alfredo sauce that really wasn't my fave, and I didn't want to use it on pasta again. I thought of doctoring it up for a mac&cheese type of sauce, but then I thought pizza! I often see white pizza's on menus, so I thought, why not veganize it! Normally I would use my beloved oatmeal crust recipe, but I am out of oats! Also, with my big move coming up, I need to start using up some pantry stuff, so I made a traditional pizza dough using this recipe. I followed it exactly, except I did add some dried Italian herbs and black pepper to the dough. It rose beautifully, and was a pretty decent crust. I will use this recipe again when I make traditional pizza. The only criticism I have of the recipe is they didn't give oven temps, or cooking time. I just looked on another recipe, and cooked my pizza at 425 Farenheit  for around twenty minutes, give or take a minute. I topped it with the Alfredo sauce, a generous sprinkling of nutritional yeast, three slices of original Chao slices julienned , white beans, kale, garlic, onion, and spicy green and Kalamata olives. I then sprinkled the top generously with Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes. The toppings I chose really helped to mask the overpowering citrus flavor of the Alfredo. The creamy cashew based sauce, and the Chao really made for a creamy texture to this pizza. The spicy, briny taste of the olives cut through the richness and made me feel like I was very elegant! I've always used red sauce, or even just a garlic, olive oil base for my pizza so this was a new to me pizza experience. I would make this pizza again in a heartbeat and serve it proudly to non-vegans and watch them delight in the rich, deliciousness! I've noticed a lot of pizza shops have some type of white pizza with chicken, and sometimes broccoli. It would be super easy to recreate that with some Beyond Meat strips, and of course broccoli. Where there is a will, there is a vegan way!
Beets are another one of those things like dandelion tea that are really good for the liver, but not so good for my taste buds. I've been forcing myself to drink beet juice for over a year now, and I've learned through a lot of trial and error that beets, pineapple, orange, and lemon make the beets as palatable as possible. If you are like me and find beets super lets say earthy(dirty), this is the answer if you still want the health benefits. The pineapple and citrus almost completely mask the beet taste.
Do you have any foods you trick yourself into eating?

No comments:

Post a Comment