Thursday, May 7, 2015

I'm Not Tempted by this Tofu!

Co-op goodies!!
I found the olive Food should Taste Good chips on sale for $1.99 a bag! They will go great with the roasted garlic hummus in the tub above the Chao slices. Since I was still on my clean eating challenge yesterday, and I was craving tofu which is on the no no list, I decided to finally try the Tempt hemp tofu. I have been curious about this product, but I always wimp out on trying it, because the color of the plain flavor is kind of a turn off for me. In this particular instance, I truly wish I would not have been brave. I don't want to rip on vegan products too much, but I also have to be honest, and this stuff needs some work. The color is way off, it is way more dense than soy tofu, and the texture, oh my the texture. Wait, before I get to the texture, I need to say also that the smell is a bit "off". Between the color, and the smell, this stuff had me worried. As I was slicing it, I noticed that it was full of whole hemp seeds. I read one review that seemed to applaud the seeds, as it was clear this tofu wasn't "over-processed". I disagree with that opinion. I don't like to hear a crunch when I slice tofu. I cooked the tofu in the oven, on a baking sheet with a little coconut oil for about fifteen minutes a side. This is my favorite way of cooking soy tofu. While the tofu was cooking, I started some Basmati rice cooking, and chopped some vegetables for a Bibimbap bowl. The hemp tofu did not get a nice exterior from the oven like regular tofu. It just kind of deepened the grey color, and it just stayed a big grey dense slab. I could only force myself to eat two slices. I find nothing to be pleasurable about this product. I wanted to like it, but I can't. I'm very happy that I don't have a soy intolerance. If I did, I would just live without tofu. Maybe they should have compared it to tempeh, since tempeh is a totally different texture than tofu. I don't know what the answer is, but my suggestion is to skip over this particular product. I have seen some reviews of tofu scrambles made with this, which might work better with the texture. I won't be finding out, because this stuff is almost double the cost of organic soy tofu, so I will just keep using the traditional tofu. This hemp tofu is not something to feed a dubious non-vegan.
I just realized I didn't mention the taste too much. Much like soy tofu, this tofu doesn't have much taste. But the texture is so off-putting to me, that it almost gives it a flavor.
Have you tried hemp tofu?

No comments:

Post a Comment