Saturday, November 28, 2020

Trader Joe's Haul and Booch Problems

 My favorite day of the year to go grocery shopping is always the day after Thanksliving, or Black Friday. People have so much leftover food, and in most cases are still full, and everyone's thinking about whatever deals are going on in other stores. 

Since I avoid Trader Joe's from about mid November through January first, I decided to sneak in one last shop. It was pretty peaceful for Trader Joe's. I also got a few things from Smith's and I've thrown it all together because I guess I felt lazy.

WooHoo Asian salad kit, sweet potato puffs, vegan ranch chickpea puffs(!!), coffee creamer all from Smiths. Lemons, coconut milk, potatoes, grape leaves, vegan milk chocolate,Romaine hearts, vegan ranch (Smith's), vegan gummies,red and green lentils, tofu, ginger drink, onion, apple, kombucha


I was hoping to find a few more fun holiday themed treats, but either it's too early or they've really scaled back due to the pandemic. I'm guessing they've scaled back. 

I was happily brewing my own kombucha, and a few weeks ago when I went to make a new batch, I noticed that there were all these tiny, tiny little fruit fly looking bugs on the scoby. I freaked out, threw the scoby away and got to Googling. I guess they were white mites or fruit flies, not sure of the difference and apparantly this can happen when brewing booch. I got stuck in a Reddit kombucha wormhole, and some people recommend just rinsing the scoby and forging ahead, I just can't. I'm going to have to just sart over with a new scoby. So, until that happens I'm back to buying.

GT's is one of my least favorite kombuchas, but Trader Joe's doesn't have a huge variety. I decided to give this flavor a try because I like a spicy drink. It's pretty dang tasty, and honestly I would buy it again!

1 comment:

  1. Smart to go to the store on Black Friday--although I swear where I live it tends to be packed then, too, without rhyme or reason.

    I also totally support your decision to start over with a new scoby! (I would personally probably go off brewing my own forever after an experience like that, but I do tend to freak out about stuff like that.)

    ReplyDelete