Thursday, November 12, 2020

Not Too "Meaty" Please

 


I've been loving these burgers from Whole Foods. They come in original and this smoky and spicy version. I've had and love both. They're very similar to the original Boca burger, which is the perfect amount of "meatiness" for me. And at $3.99 a box with four burgers, it's a good deal. 




I've never had any kind of meat jerky, and honestly I haven't tried many vegan jerky. They're expensive, and not something I crave so I just don't search it out. But I found this on sale at Smith's so I decided to try it. Wowzers, is it good. Nice and smoky, but the good kind of smoky, not the fake, overpowering smokiness in some vegan foods. I also like that it's mushroom pieces, not really trying to be meat.


Yesterday I made another delicious recipe from Wil Yeung! This is coconut chickpea rice, and as all of his other recipes have, this blew my mind! The rice is made in coconut milk, so it's rich and creamy and almost buttery, and the chickpeas are spiced with turmeric, smoked paprika and some chili. Here is the recipe, I cannot recommend it enough! 

I really love his recipes and style of cooking. He doesn't use expensive vegan specialty items like faux meats or cheeses, or superfood this or that. He uses simple ingredients and appliances, just pots, pans and maybe the oven.





3 comments:

  1. I'll have to try those burgers! I love the meaty Beyond and Impossible burgers, but I still have a place in my heart for an old-school-style patty. Also gotta try that jerky! The chickpea dish sounds awesome, esp with that coconut milk rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are the same in our 'meaty' preferences, not too meaty for me either!! That mushroom jerky sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coconut milk rice is SO GOOD. Thanks for giving us a recipe link!

    ReplyDelete