Thursday, January 11, 2018

Some Stuff I've Been Eating

Look what I spied at work last night! Dr. Greger's soup recipe on the cover of a non vegan mainstream magazine. I glanced through the article and it had several tips from him plus a meal plan which was of course vegan, but they didn't really focus on that. Pretty cool to think that some ladies and possibly lads will be going "accidentally" vegan to lose some weight! It's funny though, according to the cover we need to fatten our hair while slimming our bodies!
Here is a delicious chickpea pancake I made the other day for lunch. I added green onion and spinach to the batter and topped it with avocado, cholula, green dragon sauce and a few little dots of sriracha Just Mayo. This kept me full for a very long time!
I've been eating a lot of potatoes as usual. The Alexia oven crinkles with salt and pepper are some really excellent frozen fries. They have the perfect amount of pepper!
I used up the last of my bottled pasta sauce. I'll be reusing the jar of course and making my own from now on. My goal of moving towards zero waste is going strong! If you ever are looking for a good jarred sauce this Mezzetta sauce is excellent. The best jarred sauce I have ever had.
So my coworker who has made the awesome choice to go vegan  has anemia and has been having issues lately. I am going to look up some iron rich foods today and I figured I would see if anyone else has any suggestions I can pass along. He is committed to not eating animals and wants to solve this with plants which can definitely be done!
Here are Etta and Roxy being totally sweet and tempting me to crawl back into bed! They are nap goals for sure!





15 comments:

  1. Quickest easiest way to get iron (without supplements) is fortified cereal. That would be my suggestion for someone who might not be that into cooking or meal-planning. Since he's young, I figure that might be the simplest suggestion (that would keep him from deviating from a vegan diet). Otherwise, dark, leafy greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even thought of cereal! Great suggestion. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. As Blake mentioned cereals/grains are great for iron because they are usually fortified. Even things like all purpose flour, loaves of bread, oats, mainstream cereals, etc. I know most cereals have non-vegan vitamin D, but I know some people make an exception.

    When I was pregnant I ate A LOT of chocolate. I mean not chocolate bars, but cocoa powder. I would have a chocolate-spirulina smoothie every morning and it had a BIG chunk of my iron. It takes sometime to get use to the flavor but now I crave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cereal is something I had never thought of! I recently learned that Cream of Wheat also has a ton of iron!
      Spirulina is definitely a flavor I have never been able to get used to but it always looks so healthy!!

      Delete
  3. Is your coworker against supplements? I am dealing with issues with anemia and my levels were low enough that I am conceding to the supplements because of the time it would probably take for my levels to increase from food alone. I did do research and found that leafy greens are obviously the best source but beans are good as well and blackstrap molasses is a really great source as well. I'm going to try to make a molasses "latte" with almond milk and some spices to see how that works out. I don't want to take supplements for long but it is kind of crucial to get my levels up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know he said he has been taking supplements so hopefully between the supplements an eating iron rich foods he will feel better soon.
      I'd love to hear about the molasses latte!!

      Delete
  4. That is awesome they're promoting a healthy vegan soup and diet but i gotta say that unless you're like 500lbs in the first place it's kinda biologically impossible to lose 24lbs in seven days.... !!?

    Anemia is something NOT to mess with. I had a problem with rather serious anemia at one point and took a liquid supplement my dr prescribed (easier on the stomach than Rx pills) to get my levels up rapidly. Once normalized i tapered off the Rx while adding more iron to my diet. I was making and drinking a juice of dark leafy greens, beets and carrots with some ginger and lemon. The carrots with the beets make it easier to absorb the iron from the beets.
    By having the juice daily i was able to maintain normal iron levels and stop taking the supplement.
    Oh, and it sounds crazy but cooking in a cast iron pan is another easy way to incorporate more iron since there are trace amounts transferred to the food which is a good thing.

    If he is already anemic then he needs to raise levels to normal quickly, and supplements (for a short while) are the best way to do that, with only iron rich foods it will take much much longer to actually raise the levels enough- and in the meantime the symptoms of anemia will not go away.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I just noticed the weight loss they are promoting yikes! I wonder how Dr. Greger feels about that!
      Anemia is scary. I'm glad you got your levels back up. I always forget about cast iron pans. Thanks for all the tips!

      Delete
  5. I’m not against supplements . Just a temporary solution because I got extremely low I almost had to be hospitalized. They’re the most natural supplements I can find so that’s good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got diagnosed with anemia 7 years ago and felt really poorly. I took high dose supplements my doctor prescribed and starting feeling so much better after a few weeks. I took them for several months and once blood tests showed my levels were back up I switched to a vegan multi vitamin and mineral which I still take every day. I have my iron tested every 6 months and it's never dropped again so I am a big fan of supplements. Of course I try hard with my diet alongside them. Great to get your email and I will be replying this weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of supplements as well. Obviously diet is preferred, but we all need a little help every now an again, an supplements are better than pharmaceuticals any day!

      Delete
  7. My thing is that I want to try and do it on my own. With no RX. Which is working so far. General well being is better but a couple symptoms now and again. If they persist I’ll definitely go see a doctor. I give blood a lot. Maybe even sometimes too much. Thank you for all the suggestions . Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good eye on the Dr. Geger's article!

    ReplyDelete