Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Budget Vegan Haul

Today is day one of my budget vegan challenge. I will be eating all of my meals for the next week on thirty dollars. Well I did go thirty five cents over but I decided to allow it. I also will be using spices and pantry items that I already have. I don't feel like that is cheating because I've been on a tight budget my whole life and that's how you live. I also have some produce like spinach and green onions that I will be using up in the next couple of days. I took a picture of my pantry to show that I don't really have a lot of food, just a few things. More condiments than anything else.


A lot of what yo see to the right is empty glass jars. I always keep glass jars to reuse an I have a lot right now. I also have a million kombucha bottles.
Carrots, gold potatoes,bananas,russet potatoes,lemons,olive tapenade,black beans,oranges,gluten free spaghetti,corn tortillas,tomato paste, frozen cherries, Jasmine rice,tofu 
I also got an avocado that didn't make it in the picture. I think I did pretty great, and I'm excited for what I'll make. I've mentioned a million times I am not a meal planner. I've tried and it just doesn't work for me. I feel like if you are a meal planner eating on a budget would be even easier. But for me I just bought what I like and I will figure it out as I go. My favorite way to cook is to just see what I have and make something out of it.
I also had to compromise with myself a little bit. One of my goals for this year is to reduce my waste. I see so so so much waste at work and I'm horrified. I've been buying the high protein tofu at Trader Joe's because it's vacuum sealed instead of packed in water in a plastic tub. But it's also a dollar more than the tofu in a tub. It was a dilemma and I chose the cheaper version. But I use old hummus containers to feed the feral cats, so I will reuse the tofu tubs in the same way. It's not perfect but it's something.

Kanye is also super excited to see what I come up with in the kitchen. She's also excited to help/be in the way!


6 comments:

  1. Great haul! As you know - I am NOT a meal planner either LOL! I am like you, too, because I keep glass bottles most of the time and reuse them! I don't think it's cheating to add in what you already have on hand to make meals during the $30 Vegan Challenge, either! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love this idea! Can't wait to see what you come up with. I don't even know how much I spend weekly (I generally shop every 2 weeks and I include non-food essentials in that grocery budget), but I'm almost scared to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the biggest meal planner, though I guess because I cook from my cookbooks so I am always planning what recipes I want to make next. This looks like a pretty great haul for a budget!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your budget challenge; your haul looks great and I'm excited to see what you make! I save lots of jars, too; every now and then I find a use for one, haha! Cute Kanye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great haul! It is amazing how much you can get for $30! I am really looking forward to seeing what meals you create and for you to show how well you can eat on a tight budget!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always impressed by your creativity in the kitchen- and i think that cooking on a budget actually pushes me to become more creative and resourceful. I mean there must be 100+ ways to cook potatoes alone and yet i only seem to stick to the couple of favorite preps that I am most comfortable with.
    That olive tapenade is SO good! I’ll put it on about anything....

    I totally reuse old kombucha bottles for my own booch; I actually have a vegan coworker who is a fan of my booch so there’s a special bottle i use and she washes and gives back so i bring her the same bottle every time i make a batch :))
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete