Sunday, January 7, 2018

More Gluten Free Baking Adventures with Coconut Milk!

I was gifted this gluten free angel food cake mix. I've never made angel food cake vegan or gluten full or not. The directions called for twelve egg whites(?!) an even though I do have a can of garbanzo beans in my pantry I have no mixer or even a whisk so experimenting with aquafaba was not an option. I decided to just do my usual and add a can of coconut milk and see what happens! It smelled like a vanilla coconut cake while it was baking!! It turned out nothing like an angel food cake, more like a pound cake. It was dense but moist and tasted great! Along with the angel food cake mix came a gluten free carrot cake mix. I'm waiting until I have some vegan cream cheese to make the frosting. I haven't had carrot cake in forever so I'm super excited for that one!

Last night I made a delicious Thai green curry. First I cooked some onion and red lentils with some green curry paste an a little water, then added one can of lite coconut milk and some baked tofu. The red lentils disappear in the broth, just making it thick and creamy and of course adding more protein and fiber! I added some edamame at the end and sprinkled it all with green onion and cilantro. I also added about a tablespoon of the lemongrass tamarind sauce I have to the cooking water for the rice for a little extra flavor. Another great protein packed meal for those who wonder about our protein intake!
This is my current situation. Joan is comfy and cozy cuddling on my lap. She's all tuckered out from spending a good hour this morning trying to wake me up for breakfast!

7 comments:

  1. Even if it didn't turn out like an angel food cake, I'd still pop some Coconut Milk frozen whip and berries on it and enjoy!

    Hi Joan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coco whip would have been amazing!! Next time for sure!

      Delete
  2. That cake looks delish! The carmelized top is the clincher.

    And of course Joan is adorable. But I'm such a nerd, I was more interested in your little pile of books in the background! Ever seen that Edward Gorey t-shirt/tote bag, "Books, Cats, Life is Sweet?" That's what I'm talkin' about.

    http://www.goreystore.com/shop/cats/edward-gorey-life-sweet-tote-bag?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyszSBRDJARIsAHAqQ4oRyzusTBXCfLzop9s_5t7P6A4uwMSwoJNrMzGcgDg15FEHlkulFUAaAmYXEALw_wcB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to make that little pile grow! I need that tote for sure!

      Delete
  3. Poor Joan, she has to work so hard. What would happen if she didn't spend all that time reminding you? She might never be fed! ;)

    I have seen people just use aquafaba without whipping as a direct egg substitute in cakes without whipping, though for Angel Food Cake I think they are meant to be beaten? I think the coconut milk was definitely the safer bet.
    I love carrot cake as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing you didn't try using aquafaba! I've heard some people trying to veganize angel food cake with aquafaba and falled. 12 eggs are just too many! But the coconut vanilla cake sounds super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joan! What a wonderful lady! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete