Friday, January 5, 2018

Potato and Cashew Alfredo

I decided to experiment with a potato cashew Alfredo sauce yesterday and it was a success! I was thinking about how potatoes make such a great base for a cheese sauce so why not Alfredo sauce?
  It's a great way to cut down on the amount of nuts you use which makes it much more economical! I  also had a handful of soy curls that I sauteed with some garlic and onion powder and added it to the mix. So this was kind of like a chicken Alfredo. It was a great meal to celebrate having the day off!



                                        Roasted Garlic Potato and Cashew Alfredo
  • 1/2 C. Soaked Cashews (soaked at least two hours)
  • 2 Medium Russet Potatoes peeled and boiled
  • 7 Cloves Roasted Garlic
  • 1 T. Miso paste
  • 5 T. Nutritional Yeast
  • 1/4 Tsp. Pepper
  • 1/8 Tsp. Salt
  • 1 3/4 to 2 C. Water
Throw everything in a blender an blend away until smooth an creamy. Depending on your blender you might need more/less water.


This made quite a bit of sauce, so the potatoes definitely help to stretch out the cashews. And the roasted garlic is really what gives it it's deep savory flavor. In my opinion it doesn't need much else.
I guess yesterday was a day of discovering new things, because in the morning I added half an avocado to my smoothie an not only did it make the smoothie incredibly creamy but it kept me full for hours. Those fats really satisfy! I guess I've never paid attention before. And avocado always gives you that nice glow!
The last few weeks of 2017 were really challenging for me. I felt a lot of stress an sadness which led to some unhealthy habits like not sleeping enough, drinking more caffeine than I usually allow myself, and eating too many convenience foods. I also ignored how my body felt and what it desired. I saw myself going backwards and I always want to be moving forward. So far in this New Year I'm listening to my body and taking better care of it. I decided to try to live a less waste life for the environment, it just so happens that by helping the earth I help myself as well. Isn't it funny how that usually works. It's just like veganism. When I went vegan I was still deep in my self loathing and self destructive life. But my desire to be compassionate to all living beings somehow, mysteriously included me!




5 comments:

  1. Your potato cashew Alfredo sauce sounds perfect and looks like it turned out really well! And I love the last line of your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sauce sounds amazing. You really are the potato queen!
    I love avocado, but if I put too much of it in a smoothie it tends to make me feel a bit ill. Even though I can eat lots of it normally! I generally add some peanut butter to my smoothies for a good fatty hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love adding peanut butter to smoothies too. Makes it taste like peanut butter and jelly!
    One time I added a whole avocado and that was way too much. But a little bit is perfect. But I felt ill when I added too much too. But I can eat a whole avocado no problem! Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete